The newly expanded and improved Dram Tree park and boat launch is now open.
The city began work on this phase of improvements to Dram Tree park in March 2012. The upgrades add much needed additional parking spaces for cars and boat trailers, as well as more open space. The project also included drainage improvements. An underground stormwater retention tank was installed, allowing stormwater runoff to go into the ground rather than directly into the Cape Fear River.
The city completed the first phase of updates and renovations to Dram Tree Park, boat ramp and new kayak launch in October 2010.
The Wilmington MGP operated from approximately 1883 until 1957 on property now owned by the city, the Wilmington Housing Authority and the Gateway Project. Progress Energy restored the surrounding area at the intersection of Surry and Castle streets which had been the site of the former Wilmington manufactured gas plant while the city repaired the nearby boat ramp, built a floating dock, kayak launch and new parking lot.
The project is a joint effort with Progress Energy and the NC Wildlife Resources Commission, who helped to fund the restoration.