The City of Wilmington Police Department has set up a system to allow citizens to text message tips COMPLETELY ANONYMOUSLY.
Tips are sent to a main server that is not associated with any police agency. The Internet-based system routes messages through a server that encrypts cell phone numbers before they get to police, making tips virtually impossible to track. Here’s how it works:
- Text TIP708 and the message to CRIMES (274637). The message must begin with TIP708.
- When the message is received at CRIMES, the name and cell phone number will be stripped from the message before it is forwarded to the WPD.
- Citizens will receive an immediate text reply that includes a confidential I.D. number.
- If using Text a Tip again, citizens may include the confidential I.D. number, but that is optional.
- Anonymous tips can also be sent via the internet or phone call.
More information is available at www.tip708.com.
Similar programs have also been adopted in such major cities as Los Angeles and Boston.