Sec. 18-50. Building permits.
(a) Except as provided in G.S. § 160A-417 and the state building code, no person within the city shall commence or proceed with any of the following activities without first applying for and receiving from the city manager or designee and/or the county inspections department, as appropriate, one (1) or more permits covering all such work or changes:
(1) The construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, moving or demolition of any building or structure;
(2) The installation, extension or general repair of any plumbing system;
(3) The installation, extension, alteration or general repair of any heating, air conditioning or ventilation system;
(4) The installation, extension, alteration or general repair of any electrical wiring, devices, appliances or equipment;
(5) The installation, alteration or repair of any sign; or
(6) A change in the use of an existing building or structure.
(b) No building permit as required by the City Code and General Statutes of the State of North Carolina shall be approved by the city manager except in conformity with the provisions of this chapter, unless he receives a written order from the board of adjustment in the form of an administrative review or variance as provided by this chapter.
(c) The city manager shall not issue a building permit unless the plans, specifications and intended use of such building or structures or part thereof conform in all respects to the provisions of this chapter. The application for a building permit shall be accompanied by such information as the city manager may lawfully require to enable him to act upon such application.
(d) Each application for a building permit shall include information as to the location of applicable areas of environmental concern. Prior to the issuance of a building permit, the permit officer shall certify that the proposed structure or facility is in accordance with the state guidelines for areas of environmental concern.
(e) For the purposes of enforcing the above paragraph of this section, the "permit officer" shall be the county engineer or his designee in accordance with the Coastal Area Management Act Implementation and Enforcement Plan for New Hanover County and the City of Wilmington.
(Ord. No. O-2008-25, 4-8-08)