Sec.10-28. Public nuisances enumerated.
(a) The existence of any of the following conditions on any vacant lot or other parcel of land within the corporate limits whether on public or private property is hereby declared to be dangerous and prejudicial to the public health or safety and to constitute a public nuisance:
(1) The uncontrolled growth of weeds or grass to a height of eight (8) inches or more within one hundred (100) feet of any principal structure or public right-of-way;
(2) Any accumulation of animal or vegetable matter that is offensive by virtue of odors or vapors or which is inhabited by rats, mice, snakes, or vermin of any kind which is or may be dangerous or prejudicial to the public health;
(3) Any accumulation of trash, garbage or other waste not in compliance with the provisions of this chapter;
(4) Any accumulation of hazardous refuse or concentration of combustible items such as mattresses, boxes, paper, automobile tires, old clothes, or any other combustible materials or objects of a like nature.
(5) Open wells;
(6) Any accumulation of stagnant water causing or threatening to cause the inhabitation thereof by mosquitos;
(7) The open storage of any item detrimental to the public health or safety including, but not limited to, any furniture, appliance, ice box, stove, glass, building material or building rubbish;
(8) Any condition detrimental to the public health which violates the rules and regulations of the New Hanover County Health Department; and
(9) The presence of any debris from the demolition of any structure on the property, including but not limited to, partially demolished walls, foundations, basements, building materials and rubbish, after the cessation of all active demolition activity on the property.
(Ord. of 3-26-85, § 3; Ord. of 7-15-86, § 2; Ord. of 5-21-91, § 1; Ord. of 9-20-94, § 1; Ord. of 7-13-99, § 1; Ord. No. O-2006-113, § 1, 11-21-06)