Loans at interest rates from 0 - 2 percent are available to lower and moderate income home owners for housing repairs and maintenance.
- Remodeling projects and home additions are not eligible uses of funds under the Direct Loan Program.
- Applicants must have owned their home for one year or longer and occupy the house as their principal residence.
- Loan repayments are based on the ability of the borrower(s) to repay the debt; however, after 20 years any outstanding loan amount is due and payable as a balloon payment.
- Upon the borrower’s death, any outstanding loan balance is due and payable.
- The borrower contracts with a private building contractor to handle all repairs.
The city offers free technical assistance to the borrower by preparing a detailed list of the repair work and soliciting bids for the repairs. Borrowers select the contractor and authorize all payments to the contractor after the work is satisfactorily completed.
There is no application fee to apply for a Direct Rehabilitation Loan.