On behalf of the Wilmington City Council, The Wilmington Tree Commission annually presents awards in up to nine categories, for properties located within the city of Wilmington. The awards and criteria for nominations recognize outstanding tree preservation, outstanding landscapes, and outstanding commitment to tree maintenance. Awards are presented in the following categories:
TREE CARE, MAINTENANCE AND USE
- Outstanding pruning, maintenance and/or good tree health practices.
- Outstanding tree restoration: Rehabilitation of older trees with unique character.
- Outstanding tree preservation: Preventive health practices at construction sites.
- Outstanding handling of unique location challenges: Examples include soil and water conservation, difficult topography, etc.
- Outstanding use of native trees.
- Outstanding naturalized plantings: Design that simulates a natural habitat.
- Design that compliments architecture or topography of site.
- Design/style appropriate to history and/or significance of the site.
- Outstanding functional design: Design that facilitates/invites pedestrian use.
Deadline for submittals: Arbor Day 2009 - April 24, 2009
315 Summer Rest Road
Wilmington, NC 28405
*For more information contact Lauren Galleher: email@example.com.(910) 520-5516.
The Wilmington Tree Commission
It is the mission of the Wilmington Tree Commission to encourage Urban Forestry for a healthy and attractive natural environment for the City of Wilmington. The Commission promotes and endorses programs and policies to support Urban Forestry and to increase public education about trees. The Committee also establishes and presents awards and recognition programs as incentives to encourage a healthy and attractive natural environment for the City of Wilmington.