Water Faucet

Get information regarding CFPUA drinking water here.

Traffic Engineering

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Traffic Management Center

Traffic Management Center staff monitor the individual traffic signals via computers and video cameras, analyze major traffic arterial routes, troubleshoot system problems, conduct signal warrant analysis, and develop and modify signal timing plans.  You can follow us on twitter as we report on traffic delays on major arterials Monday thru Fridays 6:30 am to 2:30 pm.

265 Operations Center Drive
Phone: 910.341.7888
Fax: 910.342.2748

Traffic Signal Requests

Traffic Engineering Division maintains traffic signals inside and outside the city limits.  Here is how a traffic signal operates.

  • Report signal malfunctions including signals that are out or missing bulbs to the 911 center

  • Requests for signal timing changes may be reported by submitting information by using this form or by phone at 910.341.4676.


Traffic Signal Crew at Work

 Traffic Signal Crew at Work Overnight

      Around 11:30 pm on January 8, 2017 a Duke Energy Progress Pole on the northeast corner on Carolina Beach Road and Morningside Drive was damaged in a vehicle accident. Along with power lines attached to that pole were NCDOT traffic signals maintained by City of Wilmington Traffic Engineering. The on-call signal technician responded and was on site around midnight and stayed on scene while power crews replaced the pole.

     Additional signal technicians were called in to help out with relocating the attachments of the traffic signals from the damaged pole to a new power pole that was installed by Duke Energy Progress crews overnight. This picture was taken around 6 am on January 9, 2017 while City of Wilmington Traffic Engineering crews were working in 17 degree temperature with a wind chill of 8 degrees.

Public Service Announcements and Other Resources

North Carolina Driver's Handbook

NC Crosswalk Information from WatchForMeNC

Stop Bars at Traffic Signals

Reflective Clothing at Night

Sign Specification



Traffic Monitoring Cameras

Staff are able to monitor real-time traffic conditions by utilizing video cameras. A still photo, updated at 2-minute intervals, is available from each camera location.  The most recent still photo are available at NCDOT Traveler Information Management Systems website found here .

Official Traffic Schedules

What is a traffic schedule?
The official traffic schedules are traffic and parking regulations and restrictions which apply to certain streets or parts of streets within the city limits. These are adopted by City Council or amended by the City Manager.

Traffic Impact Analysis

Traffic Impact Analysis is a vital part of the transportation planning process.  It is used for current and future projects which:

  • Require changes in infrastructure
  • Modify existing traffic volumes
  • Result in changes to existing traffic patterns

The Traffic Impact Analysis:

  • Helps transportation planners and engineers plan how development projects will affect traffic volumes
  • Assists in determining when new infrastructure is needed
  • Helps to identify existing and future vehicle capacity levels of streets and road sections
  • Is required for large development projects such as new subdivisions

Traffic Impact Analysis Application

Multi-way Stop Requests

Requests for multi-way stop signs within the city limits require an engineering study of the affected intersection to determine whether the location meets the qualifications.

For these requests, contact Traffic Engineering at 910.341.7888.


Report a Streetlight Outage

Typical Pole NumberCurrently the city leases over 8,250 streetlights from Duke Energy Progress (DEP).  As part of the lease, DEP is responsible for the maintenance of the lights. Attached to the streetlight pole or post is a yellow, metal tag that contains an identification number (ID).

  • To report a streetlight that is out, cycling or damaged contact Duke Energy Progress at 800.419.6356 or visit their website. Please provide the pole ID number on the yellow tag to DEP when reporting a streetlight outage or damage.  
  • Click here to view the city's street lighting policy        
  • To request an additional streetlight, contact Traffic Engineering at 910.341.7888  
  • Vegetation blocking a streetlight? Contact the city at 910.341.7852.

Request a Sign or Pavement Marking

For sign or pavement marking questions or requests within city limits including requests for a multi-way stop, contact Traffic Engineering at 910.341.7888.

Missing or Damaged Signs

When some types of traffic signs are missing or damaged, a dangerous or hazardous situation is created for road users. Examples are: STOP, YIELD, ONE WAY, DO NOT ENTER and WRONG WAY signs. If you notice a sign of this type is missing or damaged, call 911.

To report other types of signs that are missing or damaged, call 910.341.7888.

Call 811 Before You Dig!

It may be surprising, but damage to buried utility lines can occur when doing typical home improvement projects such as putting up a fence, mailbox post, swing set or clothes line pole or planting a tree and shrubbery. If you are beginning a project that requires digging or adjusting the grade of your property, please contact the NC One-Call Center at 811 or visit their website before digging.

Ever wonder what the colors spray painted on grass, sidewalks or roads indicate? Click here to view NC One-Call Center color chart.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where do I call for a street name sign if I live in New Hanover County but not inside the city limits?  Contact New Hanover County Property Management at 910.798.4330  
  • Where do I call for sign maintenance (other than street name signs) outside the city limits?  Contact the North Carolina Department of Transportation at 910.341.0300 or visit their local website.