Layout - Left Frame
Saturday, April 19, 2014
What color is your street?

Here is the color-coding system used to rate sections of streets within city limits.

         Failed 
     
         Poor 
     
         Fair
     
         Satisfactory 
     


Good

Do you live on a city-owned street? See how your section rates!

Download a map showing the pavement condition of all streets included in the study. This is a large file and may take a few moments to download. If you have trouble reading the map, use the zoom feature to zoom in on a particular area.

Not sure if you live on a city-owned street? It could be state-owned or private. See a list of city-owned streets.


 

Street improvements also help our economy
More than half of all the funds from the 5-year improvement plan will be spent on improving Wilmington's streets. These projects will not only improve our roadways, but will also help strengthen our economy by employing people. Of all the streets projects planned, the city estimates that 75% will employ outside contractors. The city's streets division will be hiring people to fill positions that had been vacant in order to provide ongoing maintenance and assist with completing the remaining 25%.

Street study
The city just completed a study on the condition of all public roads within city limits and a priority list has been developed based on various factors, such as traffic count and pavement condition. This list will be changing and updating as projects are completed.

Because some blocks or sections of one road may be in better condition than others, roads were divided into sections. Want to know how your section of road rates in comparison with other Wilmington streets?  Click here to find out.

Not every street will receive improvements, but in many cases a particular section could receive improvements. Dividing the road into sections allows the city to concentrate on areas most in need of repair. Check to see if the section of road you live on is on the priority list. 

Street improvements will be coordinated with upcoming stormwater and utility projects to minimize the impact to those using the roadways. 

Click here to learn more about what other improvements the city is planning over the next 5 years!

Questions? 
Call the city's Streets Division at 910.341.7879.

Project updates


The city's in-house street resurfacing program completed work on Ridgeway Drive, Highland Drive, Bordeaux Avenue and Grace Street between 3rd & 4th streets.

Work completed on Bagley Avenue, Pollock’s Way and Parkway Drive included stormwater division drainage improvements and modifications, in addition to the pavement being rebuilt and resurfaced. 

Work is planned for many streets Park Avenue, Rose Avenue, Clear Run, College Acres, Cardinal and portions of the 17th Street Extension. City staff is currently working with other utility agencies and the NC Department of Transportation to coordinate these and other projects planned for this year.
Study information

Traffic on Surry Street is down to one lane between Queen and Castle streets while crews work to resurface the roadway.


 See how the city has taken photos of city streets to better prioritize which streets to work on first


 Types of street maintenance

 Watch the entire presentation on the plan at the Aug. 7, 2012 City Council Meeting.

Layout - Right Frame
Layout - Footer Top Left Corner Layout - Footer Top Right Corner
Terms of Use  Privacy  ADA Policy  ©2002-2014 City of Wilmington 
102 North Third Street - Post Office Box 1810
Wilmington, North Carolina 28402-1810
910.341.7800
Questions, Comments? Email Us!
Login