An applicant for either internal promotion or an employment opportunity with the City of Wilmington is any individual who completes and submits a City of Wilmington application form with required documentation in a timely manner. An individual will be considered an applicant only if all required forms and documents are received by the posted closing date of the recruitment. Applications for employment are only accepted for officially posted positions.
- Read the job announcement carefully, making sure you understand the requirements of the position.
- Make sure all the requested information in filled in completely and accurately on the City of Wilmington application. Just putting “see resume” is not acceptable.
- Do not leave any gaps in your employment history.
- List job duties or skills that you have, which are relevant to the position.
- Include your resume and cover letter only as supplement documents, but not as replacements for the requested information.
- Be sure you receive confirmation that your application was received prior to logging out of the application system.
The City of Wilmington’s government job listing is updated as vacancies become available. Candidates may choose to create a Job Interest Card to generate electronic notification when a position is posted.
All applicants must submit an online application to be considered. Assistance using the online application is available in the City's Human Resources Office, located at 305 Chestnut Street, Wilmington, NC 28401, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Online application tutorial
Employment Citizenship Requirement (Effective October 1, 2005)
United States citizenship or legal alien status is required. All employees must be able to provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States. The City of Wilmington does not engage in special visa programs such as H-1B and H-2A.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
The City of Wilmington supports the accommodation provisions of the ADA. If you are selected for an interview and need an accommodation to participate, please contact the Human Resources Office at (910) 341-7840.
Individuals selected for conditional offer of employment on positions that require degrees and/or professional certifications, must provide an official copy of their university/college transcript(s) and certification(s) before a final offer will be made. The college or university must be accredited by an accrediting body approved under the guidelines of the US Department of Labor. To determine if your program is accredited please visit: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx
Offers of Employment
- All new hire applicants will receive a conditional offer of employment in writing for the position pending the successful completion of pre-employment physical, drug screen and other related pre-employment activities.
- All new hire applicants will also be required to submit degree verification and/or license/certification verification, if applicable, before an conditional offer of employment will be made. The college/university must be accredited from by one of the regional accrediting bodies.
- Positions requiring a driving or criminal history check will also be processed prior to the conditional offer. The above requirements must be successfully passed prior to the start date.
Further information can also be obtained by calling 910.341.7840