Preliminary 2010 crime statistics have been released for the City of Wilmington. Most notably:
- Lowest two-year total for murder since 1998
- Lowest level of violent crime since 1998 (724) - 10% reduction from 2009
- Lowest level of burglary since 1998 (1,454) - 11% reduction from 2009
- Lowest level of motor vehicle theft since 1998 (444) - 2% reduction from 2009
- Lowest level of arson since 1999 (12) and -45% reduction from 2009
- Total Part I crimes in 2010 was 6,346 -- 598 fewer crimes than in the previous year
- Part I crime in the Central Business District (Downtown) was reduced by 19%
As Chief Ralph Evangelous predicted a year ago, overall serious crime increased somewhat in 2009, reversing the downward trend of the past six years. The increase in reported larcenies accounts for most of the overall increase.
Preliminary annual totals for the eight serious crimes reported to the FBI are displayed on the attached chart (see link below). The chart shows annual totals for 1998 through 2010, as well as an 8 and 9-year average.
View crime report chart.
Visit the WPD web page.