Posted on June 28, 2011 00:00
||Due to the extremely dry conditions, the City of Wilmington is not recommending the use of any type of fireworks at residences.
This year stay safe and enjoy the fireworks downtown. These fireworks are monitored by public safety personnel and are fired over a body of water.
Even sparklers can be extremely dangerous. They reach over 1200 degrees Fahrenheit, which can cause third degree burns. Keep in mind that glass melts at 900 degrees.
Remember these tips when using sparklers:
- Never hold a child in your arms while using a sparkler.
- Never hold or light more than one sparkler at a time.
- Sparkler wire stays hot long after flames have gone out. Be sure to place used sparklers in a bucket of water.
- Stand at least 6 feet from another person while using sparklers.
- Never wave sparklers or run while holding them.
Have a safe and happy 4th of July!