Posted on December 09, 2011 00:00
||The Wilmington Fire Department offers these seasonal fire safety tips:
- Choose a freshly cut tree (if needles fall off after striking the stump on a firm surface, the tree is too dry).
- Keep tree away from heat sources.
- Keep tree well-watered – it could absorb a gallon of water the first day.
- Do not burn tree branches in fireplace or woodstove.
- Replace any worn or damaged light sets or any set that is more that 4-5 years old.
- Use only light strings approved by a recognized safety-testing agency such as U.L.
- Avoid overloading electrical circuits or creating "octopus" connections.
- Disconnect lights at bedtime or when unattended.
- Use only non-flammable or flame retardant decorations.
- Never burn discarded wrappings and packages in a woodstove or fireplace.
For more information, contact the Fire and Life Safety Division of the Wilmington Fire Department at 910.343.0696.
View shopping safety tips from the WPD.
Have a safe and happy holiday season!