Posted on November 16, 2012 00:00
Have you started your holiday shopping? WPD has some tips on how to stay safe.
Holiday Safety Tips:
- While shopping, stay alert and be aware of what is going on around you.
- Avoid shopping alone. Try to shop with friends or relatives.
- Park in a well-lit area. Be sure to lock your car, close your windows and hide any shopping bags/gifts in the trunk.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; pay with credit cards or with a check when possible.
- Carry your purse close to your body. Keep your wallet in a front pocket or inside coat pocket.
- Do not carry too many packages at one time. Try to consolidate your packages into one or two bags to create an illusion that you didn't purchase much.
- Try to shop when the shopping malls are less crowded.
- When shopping with kids, teach them to go to a store clerk or security guard if you become separated.
- Know your surroundings, keep an eye on the people in front of you and behind you.
- After the holidays, don't leave empty boxes for new electronic items in plain view at the curb.
- Update or create a home inventory list with serial numbers including videos or photos of all your valuables, in the event that items are stolen.
To view the flyer, click here.
Learn more about the WPD.