Tuesday, Nov. 20 City Council meeting, 6:30 p.m. at City Hall
Items of interest on the agenda included:
- Appropriated $250,000 in funding from NCDOT for the construction of a 1.3-mile section of the Cross-City Trail that will begin in Wade Park, and then travel along Bethel Road, Waltmoor Road and South 17th Street, where it will connect to the existing path at John D. Barry Drive. It will also include pedestrian upgrades at the South College/17th Street intersection. This is the last remaining section of the trail to be funded.
- Public hearing and ordinance condemned 226 S. Front Street, which is the former Taste of Country restaurant. The issue was originally delayed by Council in September after the owner requested an additional six months to renovate and/or sale the building.
- Resolution to apply for state authorization to re-establish an Urban Progress Zone designed to stimulate new investment and job creation in an economically distressed urban area. Qualifying businesses in the zone have the opportunity for tax credits based on job creation.
- Adoption of the city’s legislative agenda for the upcoming session of the NC General Assembly. The legislative agenda’s three main focus areas are:
- To obtain alternative local revenue source(s) as part of tax reform;
- To assist local governments with needed street/transportation infrastructure; protect environment;
- To support local job growth.
Watch the meeting.
The next Council Meeting will be held on Tuesday, December 4. The agenda for the next meeting will be posted on the city's website on Friday, November 30.
Meetings are held at 6:30 p.m. in Council Chambers, which is located on the second floor of City Hall at 102 North 3rd Street. Parking is available in the Thalian Hall parking lot or in the city parking deck located directly across from City Hall. Meetings are also broadcast on GTV8 (Time Warner Cable channel 8) or simulcast by visiting the GTV8 web page. Following the meeting, videos are available on demand on the city's video archive web page.