It is important to note the significant efforts that have been, and are being made by public safety personnel to increase safety downtown.
- 2012 had the fewest serious and violent crimes in the CBD in a decade.
- Violent crime in the downtown area in 2011 was down 32% from 2010. The trend continued downward in 2012, with an 11% decrease.
- From 2002 to 2012, overall crime in the CBD decreased by 36%, while the population increased by 33%.
- In July 2011, Chief Ralph Evangelous took the lead in establishing a 16-member Downtown Task Force made up of law enforcement officers from both the Wilmington Police Department and the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office. Previously, there were only four dedicated officers in the CBD.
Visit the Wilmington Police Department's webpage.
- Since its implementation, the Task Force has been active and visible day and night, seven days a week. Task Force members often are on foot, but they also patrol using bicycles or Segway. They conduct undercover operations as needed. The emphasis is on reducing crime and maintaining safety throughout the area.