In the 2013 session of the NC General Assembly, Wilmington anticipates opportunities to support initiatives that foster growth. As such, Wilmington's legislative agenda is focused on broad areas, but also provides the ability to support objectives that may yield similar outcomes in partnership with others.
In order to maintain and enhance the quality of life enjoyed by the citizens of Wilmington, the Wilmington City Council is committed to working in partnership with their colleagues in other governmental entities. The NC General Assembly plays an essential role in helping the City improve the quality of life for our citizens and encourage investment in the region.
The Wilmington City Council commits to productive problem-solving and collaboration with our State legislative partners for the benefit of our shared constituency, the citizens of Wilmington to help achieve the following:
- Protect and enhance local revenue source(s) as part of our tax form initiative
- Offset the burden on public services provided by, and supported by, City taxpayers
- Encourage cities to be regional leaders in job creation
- Assist local governments with needed infrastructure improvements for streets and transportation projects; protect the environment and improve all modes of transportation
- Support job growth in our local community
- Approve extension of tax credit for statewide film industry
- Support DMV authority to hold license renewals for unpaid parking tickets
- Invest in expanding the economic impact of Port activities
- Ensure the City is part of the state's overall logistics planning
- Protect and grow local revenue capacity
- Oppose changes to the current Room Occupancy Tax (ROT) formula, including the distribution
- Approve an increase in the municipal share of local sales taxes
- Support new revenue stream for shoreline preservation, restoration and beach nourishment.
Click here to see the brochure and get more details.