Tuesday, May 21, City Council meeting, City Hall, 6:30 p.m.
Items of interest on the agenda included:
- Official Council approval of a bill passed by the NC General Assembly that allows the city not to charge Monkey Junction residents for city taxes for the six months the area was legally annexed into Wilmington city limits even though the state constitution does not generally allow this.
- Public hearing on the 2013-14 proposed budget – highlights include:
- No property tax increase
- Core services maintained
- 2% pay raise for employees; additional 1.5% pool to be used for performance-based merit pay for eligible employees
- Strong savings (fund balance) for emergencies of about $25 million
- Continued funding for 5-year infrastructure improvement plan
- Continued public safety investment, including funding a full year’s funding for the WPD’s new Mobile Field Force as well as the purchase of a new ladder fire truck
Watch a video of the FY 2013-14 Recommended Budget from the May 7 Council meeting
View the presentation of the FY 2013-14 Recommended Budget from the May 7 Council meeting
Visit the city's Recommended Budget web page
- Resolution authorizing the city to pay $300,000 in civil penalties to the US Environmental Protection Agency as part of a consent decree related to sewer spills that occurred several years ago.
Watch the entire meeting.
The next Council Meeting will be held on Tuesday, June 4. The agenda for the next meeting will be posted on the city's website on Friday, May 31.
Meetings are held at 6:30 p.m. in Council Chambers, which is located on the second floor of City Hall at 102 North 3rd Street. Parking is available in the Thalian Hall parking lot or in the city parking deck located directly across from City Hall. Meetings are also broadcast on GTV8 (Time Warner Cable channel 8) or simulcast by visiting the GTV8 web page. Following the meeting, videos are available on demand on the city's video archive web page.