Once again, the expo and race headquarters for the PPD Beach 2 Battleship Triathlon will be held at the Wilmington Convention Center. The triathlon was named one of the top 5 iron distance triathlons in the world by Triathlete magazine and one of the top 20 triathlons by Men's Health magazine.
In addition, much of the race will take place downtown on Saturday, Oct. 26, so thousands of participants and visitors from around the world will be in the downtown area.
The bike course begins at Wrightsville Beach, travels through several counties and returns to the Convention Center via the Isabel Holmes Bridge. The running course starts at the Convention Center, travels through downtown, down Front Street, around Greenfield Park and back.
More than two thousand racers will be participating in this event from around the world and many more spectators will be lining the streets to watch. Please use caution if coming downtown or traveling near the race course on Saturday.
The following roads/intersections will be impacted but will remain open to traffic on Oct. 26:
- Traffic on the Wrightsville Beach Bridge will increase significantly between 5:30-11:00 a.m.
- Expect delays on Eastwood Rd. from Wrightsville Beach to Military Cutoff Rd. from 7 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Expect delays on Military Cutoff Rd. from Eastwood Rd. to I-140 from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Watch for cyclists on Market St. between Military Cutoff Rd. to I-140 until noon
- Expect delays at the intersection of Market St. and Porters Neck Rd. Motorists are advised to avoid this area if possible from 7:30 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Motorists are advised to avoid the Isabel Holmes Bridge from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. if possible. Those traveling from Wilmington to Brunswick County are asked to use the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge to avoid delays.
The following roads will be impacted by the event and will be completely closed throughout the day and evening on Saturday:
- Water St. between Grace and Dock streets from noon on Friday, Oct. 25 through 2 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 27
- Southbound Front St. between Ann and Greenfield streets
- Eastbound Greenfield St. between S. Front St. and 5th Ave./E. Lakeshore Blvd.
- Westbound Princess St. between N. Front and Water streets
- Hanover St. between N. Front and Nutt streets
- Brunswick St. between N. Front and Nutt streets
- Nutt St. between Brunswick St. to just north of the entrance to the Wilmington Convention Center parking garage beginning at noon on Friday, Oct. 25
There will be significant law enforcement support provided by WPD and the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Department along the route stationed at all major intersections helping to guide traffic. In addition, volunteers wearing orange safety vests will be along the course to assist with traffic control/participant safety.
Additionally, the Riverfront Farmers' Market will temporarily relocate to the 00 - 200 blocks of S. Front St. on Saturday, October 26. The Market will return to its normal location on N. Water Street/ Riverfront Park at 8 a.m. on Saturday, November 2.
Get more information on the race, including course maps and traffic advisories by visiting the B2B website