The 2nd Annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® will take place downtown on Saturday, March 1. Some streets will need to be closed while the race is in progress.
Over 2,000 participants are expected to take part in the event which raises funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer, celebrates breast cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease.
The race begins at 8:30 a.m. in Historic Downtown Wilmington with the start and finish lines on 2nd Street between Market and Dock streets.
Traffic Info/Hot Spots
For the safety of participants, it will be necessary to restrict traffic on the streets along the race course. The listed times are conservative estimates. Sections of the course will reopen as soon as the trailing car passes each intersection.
The following streets/lanes will be closed:
- S. 2nd St. between Market & Orange streets – 4:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Market St. between 2nd & Front streets – 7:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
- Orange St. between 2nd & Front streets – 7:00 a.m.-9:45 a.m.
- Front St. between Orange & Nun streets – 7:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
- Nun St. between Front St. & 5th Ave. – 7:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
- 5th Ave. (northbound lanes) between Nun & Red Cross streets – 7:00 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
- Red Cross St. between 5th Ave. & 4th St. – 7:00 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
- 4th St. (northbound lane) between Red Cross & Davis streets – 7:00 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
- Davis St. (westbound lane) between 4th & 3rd streets – 7:00 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
- Front St. (southbound lane) between 3rd & Princess streets – 7:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
- Princess St. (eastbound lane) between Front & S. 2nd streets – 7:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
- 2nd St. (southbound lane) between Princess & Market streets – 7 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
- 5th Ave. will remain open to southbound traffic throughout the event, but motorists are likely to encounter some delays at the Market St. traffic light.
- The Market Street Parking Deck will be accessible via eastbound Market St.
- The city's 2nd Street parking lot will be closed from 6 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 28 until 5 p.m. on Saturday, Mar. 1 for the event.
Traffic control will be available at the following intersections to allow intermediate traffic flow:
- Nun and 3rd St.
- Nun and 5th Ave. (northbound lanes)
- 5th Ave. & Church St. (northbound lanes)
- 5th Ave. and Market St.
- 5th Ave. and Red Cross St.
- 4th St. and Red Cross St.
- 4th St. and Davis St.
- Davis St. and 3rd St.
- Front St. and Hanover St.
- Front St. and Princess St.
Click here for more information on this event and to see a map of the race.