A portion of the city’s municipal golf course is closed so that crews can begin restoring the city’s municipal golf course greens, fairway bunkers and practice putting green. Holes 2-6 and 12-16, located on the course to the west of Pine Grove Road, are now closed.
Temporarily converting the chipping green and practice area to a par 3 hole will allow play to continue on the side of the course where the clubhouse is located for the next 2-3 weeks, then the entire course will close. During this time, rates will be discounted. While the restoration work is underway, municipal golf course staff will repair other parts of the course, such as the rough, fairways and tee boxes. The clubhouse and pro shop will remain open during construction.
This will be the first total restoration of the Donald Ross-designed course since it was fully completed in 1929. The project will include restoration of all greens, approaches, bunkers, practice putting green, irrigation improvements and improved drainage. On average, about 60,000 rounds of golf are played on the course each year, which has caused wear and tear on the 85-year old course.
Funding for the $1.2 million project will come from golf course and park bond funds. In addition, rate increases of 35 percent for FY 2015 and 10 percent for FY 2016 will be implemented to help pay for the improvements. The project is expected to be complete by October.
Did you know that the Golf Course Fund is an enterprise fund? This means that it is supported entirely by user fees (greens fees).
View a presentation from Feb. 17 outlining the project
Watch a presentation from Jan. 21 showing the proposed design
18th hole today
18th hole after proposed design
Learn more about the Muni course