At their meeting on May 20, the Wilmington City Council passed two resolutions renaming two city parks.
The city's newest neighborhood park located at 6001 Mariner Lane was officially renamed the Eddy and Mary Haneman Park in honor of the late Captain Eddy Haneman and Mary E. R. Haneman. The land for the 1-acre park was donated by the family of the Hanemans, who were well-known in the area for sport fishing/recreation in the 1950s-1990s.
The passive park and plaza at 1305 N. 4th Street was officially renamed the "Thomas and Willie Jervay Freedom Walk" in recognition of Thomas and Willie E. Jervay. Thomas Jervay was the founder and publisher of the Wilmington Journal. Both Thomas and Willie Jervay were well-known in the area for their pursuit of equality and justice. The 2.5-acre park is located between 3rd and 4th streets just north of the city's 1898 Memorial Park.