Layout - Left Frame
Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Designated Local Landmarks
Landmark designation means the community recognizes this property as an important historic resource worthy of preservation. Any substantial exterior design changes to a designated landmark are subject to design review procedures of the Wilmington Historic Preservation Commission. The owner may apply for an annual deferral of fifty percent of the property taxes for as long as the property is designated and retains significance and integrity.
  
 
 
Text/HTML
Lazarus-Hill-Divine House   Former Fire Station No. 5  
Lazarus-Hill-Divine House 
314 Grace Street 
  Fire Station No. 5 (Former)
1702 Wrightsville Avenue 
  Chestnut Street Presbyterian Church (USA)
712 Chestnut Street
Built in 1818 for Aaron Lazarus, a wealthy merchant from Charleston, SC.  The next owner, Senator Fredrick Hill, sold the house to John F. Divine in 1874.  Other uses include a Military Academy, Franciscan Convent and an emergency hospital.  Federalist style architecture with aspects of Greek Revival and Italianate style.

  Built in 1931 in response to expanding city boundaries and as part of the “Build Now” campaign in an effort to relieve unemployment, while providing the city with civic improvements.  The Spanish style correlates with the surrounding neighborhoods.  The fire station closed 1965.   Constructed in 1858, the Chestnut Street Presbyterian Church is a rare example of an ecclesiastical structure built in the Carpenter Gothic style with Italianate influences.  Built as a mission church by the First Presbyterian Church in 1858, the church became one of the first all black congregations in Wilmington in 1864.   
   
 Greenfield Lake Park and Gardens
1701&1739 Burnett Blvd
 
North 6th Street Truss Bridge /
Harry Forden Bridge 
Between Brunswick and
Campbell streets
 
 
Efird's-Einstein Brothers
Department Store 
272 North Front Street 
The lake and gardens cover over 200 acres and were part of the plantation owned by Dr. Samuel Green in the 18th century.  The property was purchased by the City of Wilmington in 1925.  The property boasts beautiful gardens that include Live Oak and Bald Cypress trees, fountains, goldfish ponds and walkways.   
  The North 6th Street Bridge was built in 1911 and is the only remaining steel truss bridge from that era in Wilmington.  It was built to replace the original deteriorating wooden structure spanning the railroad tracks.  In 2007 the bridge was renamed in memory of Mr. Harry Forden, a local community activist who strived to revive North 4th Street after the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad left Wilmington.      Construction of the building was finished in 1907 for John Henry Brunjes to house a wholesale dry goods firm.  Built in the Renaissance Revival style, the building was originally 3-stories.  Two additional stories were added in 1921.  The store closed in 1975.  The building remained vacant until 1983, when it became an office complex for several Federal Agencies.  The street façade remains unchanged and the original pressed metal ceiling can still be seen on the first floor.     


Layout - Right Frame
Layout - Footer Top Left Corner Layout - Footer Top Right Corner
Terms of Use  Privacy  ADA Policy  ©2002-2014 City of Wilmington 
102 North Third Street - Post Office Box 1810
Wilmington, North Carolina 28402-1810
910.341.7800
Questions, Comments? Email Us!
Login