The Public Affairs Office coordinates the Police Department’s media relations and public communications and provides staff support to the Office of the Chief.
The Public Affairs Officer is responsible for:
- Publicizing the Police Department’s programs, services and special events
- Distributing news releases and media updates on significant incidents and breaking news
- Responding to the scenes of major incidents to coordinate release of information to news organizations
- Managing WPD’s volunteer assignments and student internships
- Supervising the Crime Prevention Unit.