Layout - Left Frame
Friday, July 1, 2016

Salary & Benefits

The Wilmington Police Department offers a competitive starting annual salary of $36,123.36 for police officers.  All uniforms and equipment are provided by the agency. Officer benefits include: 

  • Education Incentive Pay
    • BA or BS Degree: $2,000 added to base salary
    • AS or AA Degree: $1,000 added to base salary
  • Up to $2,500 sign-on bonus for qualifying officers
  • 5% employer contribution to 401(k) and additional 2.5% employer contribution to 401(k) or 457 plan (total contribution 7.5%)
  • NC Local Governmental Employees' Retirement System
  • Medical insurance
  • Dental insurance
  • Employer-paid life insurance for employees
  • Employer-paid accidental death insurance and long-term dismemberment
  • Supplemental retirement program
  • Flexible spending accounts
  • Vacation, sick, holiday, civil and military leaves 
  • Tuition reimbursement
  • Separation allowance
  • Uniforms
  • Bloodborne pathogen protection
  • Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
  • Take Home Car Program


Basic Law Enforcement Training Sponsorship (BLET)

The Wilmington Police Department offers a "Sponsorship" for persons to attend the Basic Law Enforcement Training Academy at a local community college. The department works in conjunction with Cape Fear Community College and Brunswick Community College for the BLET program. Receiving a Sponsorship will defer the cost of the tuition for the course. Anyone seeking a Sponsorship must be in compliance with the WPD Sponsorship requirements. Request for Sponsorship must be submitted no later than 30 Days prior to the beginning of the course. Please keep in mind that this is NOT a paid position and does not constitute or guarantee employment with the Wilmington Police Department. 


Layout - Right Frame
Layout - Footer Top Left Corner Layout - Footer Top Right Corner
Terms of Use  Privacy  ADA Policy  ©2002-2016 City of Wilmington 
102 North Third Street - Post Office Box 1810
Wilmington, North Carolina 28402-1810
910.341.7800
Questions, Comments? Email Us!
Login