The project is almost complete. Front street will be open for pedestrians for the July 4 weekend and will be open to vehicles on or about July 9.
$1.83 million joint project between the City of Wilmington and the Cape Fear Public Utility Authority.
Below the ground:
- Replacement of aging water and sewer pipes (downtown pipe replacement rated as highest priority in citywide assessment)
Above the ground:
- Renovation of streetscape - street paving and sidewalks, curbs, crosswalks, street furnishings, lighting, traffic signals and plantings
- Combine both projects to minimize disruption to business on Front Street
- Replace aging water and sewer pipes – more than 100 years old in some cases
- Make downtown more accessible and pedestrian-friendly so more visitors will come downtown and frequent downtown businesses
North Front Street between Market Street and Chestnut Street
- January – late July, 2010
- Stage 1 – Market Street thru 00 block of North Front Street (COMPLETE)
- Stage 2 – Princess Street intersection thru 100 block (UNDERWAY)
- Stage 3 – Chestnut Street intersection
New sidewalks will be installed in segments; each segment will be inaccessible for a few hours. The city will work with area businesses to schedule the installation at the most convenient time.
All roads will remain open throughout the project except for the one-block construction area on Front Street.
Road closures during the project
- Front Street will be closed one block at a time
- One lane will remain open in the two intersections where construction is occurring
- Sidewalks directly in front of buildings will remain open
- Sidewalk work will only occur on Monday through Thursday
- Generally 7 a.m. – 7 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Some night and weekend work will occur as feasible
For more information contact Bret Russell, Project Manager at 910.341.5890 or Dylan Lee, Project Liaison, at 910.341.4675.