The North 3rd Street Improvement Project is now complete.
What the project entails
The entire $10.4 million project involves new water and sewer lines, the placement of power and other utilities underground, new sidewalks, curbing, and pavement, as well as landscaping and other amenities, from Market Street to the Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway.
Below the ground:
Above the ground:
- Replacement of aging water and sewer pipes (downtown pipe replacement rated as highest priority in citywide assessment)
- Conversion of overhead utilities to underground
- Renovation of streetscape – street paving and sidewalks, curbs, crosswalks, street furnishings, lighting, traffic signals and plantings
- Combine both projects to minimize disruption to businesses on North 3rd Street
- Convert overhead utilities underground – reduces potential for damage from storm events and is more aesthetically pleasing
- Replace aging water and sewer pipes – more than 100 years old in some cases
- Improve a major gateway corridor into the city and make downtown more accessible and pedestrian-friendly
For more information
- North 3rd Street between Market Street and Davis/North Front street
- Traffic control has been installed from Market Street North to Harnett Street.
- There is no on-street parking on North 3rd Street between Market Street and Harnett Street.Motorists may use 5th Avenue as an alternative route.
- Mike Naklicki, City Project Manager, 341-5897
- Jamison Fair, CFPUA Project Manager, 332-6633