Household Trash Collection
The Solid Waste Division provides weekly curbside trash pick up for residential and commercial customers within the City limits who are city trash customers. The division is an enterprise fund whose revenues are based primarily on monthly fees charged to solid waste customers based on their chosen level of service.
For residents and businesses within the Downtown Central Business District (CBD) trash and recycle service is provided by the city's "Bag It" program. Please click here for more information.
Sign up for Service
Contact: Cape Fear Public Utility Authority (910) 332-6550, 235 Government Center Drive Wilmington, NC 28403 or visit www.cfpua.org.
Included in your Service /Rates
City service includes roll out trash container/cart, recycling cart, yard waste and bulky collection. Trash and yard waste are collected weekly and recycling is collected bi-weekly. Large (bulky) items are collected upon request by calling the Solid Waste Office at 910.341.7875. A choice of two trash cart sizes is available, a 95-gallon and a 35-gallon cart. By maximizing the amount you recycle, your household may only require a small cart.
As of July 1, 2014, the fee for the regular sized (maxi) cart is $26.29 per month and the mini cart fee is $21.36 per month. The monthly rates include weekly trash and yard waste collections, bi-weekly recycling, as well as bulky item collection upon request. Extra bagged trash that does not fit in your cart requires the purchase of orange extra trash stickers.
The Solid Waste Office does not collect items on Christmas and Thanksgiving Day. Christmas pickup schedule will be announced prior to the date. Thursday customers will receive Thanksgiving collection on the Wednesday prior to the holiday. All other holidays have a normal pickup schedule.
All household trash, recycling, yard waste, and scheduled bulky pick-up must be at the curb by 7:30 am on your weekly pickup day. Trash may be set out the night before. Please make sure trash does not blow away, block traffic, or storm drains. All containers must be retrieved and off the city right of way by the end of that day. Trash and containers should not be at the curb except for on your weekly pick up day.
Household Trash Preparation
Household trash must be bagged and in your city rollout cart/container. Please double bag extra smelly trash such as diapers, cat litter, etc to prevent leakage. Please do not overfill your container, the lid should close. Bagged trash not in the container will not be picked up without orange extra trash stickers.
Extra trash bags
Household trash bags that will not fit in your container/ cart must have orange extra trash stickers attached for collection. Call the Solid Waste Management Office at 341-7875 to purchase stickers, which will be mailed to you and charged to your utility account. A minimum of 12 stickers at $1.25 each must be purchased at one time. Stickers may also be purchased and picked up from the Collections Office located at 305 Chestnut Street. Solid Waste Management recommends keeping extra stickers on hand for that unexpected heavy trash week.
The City Service will NOT collect:
- Liquids or Sharp items, which are dangerous for city crews
- Dirt, rocks, concrete or commercial demolition materials
- Hot ashes
- Paint liquids (paint cans must be dried out completely or taken to NHC Household Hazardous Waste Facility)
- Hazardous Materials (Please deposit at the NHC Household Hazardous Waste Facility)
- Chemicals or pesticides (Please deposit at the NHC Household Hazardous Waste Facility)
- Medical waste - New Hanover County manages two drop-off locations to take prescription drugs to year-round, no questions asked. There is a locked metal container with a drop slot in the first floor lobbies of the County Jail (3950 Juvenile Center Road, Castle Hayne) or the Historic Courthouse (24 N. 3rd Street, Wilmington). Also, New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NHRMC) conducts twice-yearly collection events in the spring & fall.For more information, contact Kathy Rawlings at 910.815.5152 or email@example.com
- Tires (Residents may take 5 tires to the New Hanover County landfill to dispose of at no charge)
- Computers, monitors and tvs are collected by appointment from city customers: All electronics can be deposited at the NHC Household Hazardous Waste Facility
- Items too large or heavy for collection trucks
Many of the above items are available for disposal with New Hanover County.