Click Items banned from North Carolina landfills to view NC Department of Environment and Natural Resources webpage on the items banned from North Carolina landfills.
Many items are banned from NC landfills per NC General Statutes. The list below represent items that are either harmfull to the natural environment and/or easily recycled. Oysters are listed because they are needed in local ecosystems. All these items take up valuable space in North Carolina landfills and should be disposed of properly.
- Used oil*
- Yard trash***
- White goods (large appliances)***
- Aluminum cans**
- Lead-acid batteries*
- Beverage containers that are required to be recycled under G.S. 18B-1006.1**
- Motor vehicle oil filters*
- Recyclable rigid plastic containers (Look for recycling loop with numbers #1-7)**
- Wooden pallets*
- Oyster shells*
- Computers and computer equipment*
- Fluorescent lights and thermostats containing mercury*
* These items can be properly disposed of with New Hanover County.
** These items go in your blue recycling carts.
***These are considered bulky items, and are picked up by the City's Solid Waste crews by appointment only.