910.341.4631 (TDD 341.7873/TTY 711) Fax: 910.341.4639 firstname.lastname@example.org Tari Ann Toro-Steinmetz (bio) - Tennis Complex Manager
Althea Gibson moved to Wilmington in 1946 to attend high school and work on her tennis game with Dr. Hubert A. Eaton. She was a trailblazing athlete who became the first African-American to win Wimbledon, the French Open, the Australian Doubles and the US Open in the late 1950’s.
The complex has:
- 19 tennis courts with lights
- 1500 sq. ft. clubhouse with lounge, meeting room, and snack counter
Courts are open to the public on a walk up basis at no charge. You may also reserve a court for a fee.
- $4.50 for 90 minutes for New Hanover County residents
- $9.00 for 90 minutes for non New Hanover County residents
Upcoming 2018 Empie Park Projects:
(1) Courts 9-18 and center court at the Althea Gibson Tennis Complex will be resurfaced in late May/early June and take about 15 days to complete (weather permitting). Funds are being provided by the 2016 Parks Bond, USTA Grant, and GWTA donation.
(2) Empie Park Phase 2 consists of an additional 5 lighted, tennis courts (hard courts) that will be adjacent to courts 14-18. Sixty-one (61) parking spaces will also be added as well as additional sidewalk connections that will connect to the Cross City Trail. Demo will begin in June 2018 and the project is estimated to take between 5-6 months.
(3) Empie Park Playground: Improvements to the Empie Park playground such as adaptive surfacing, adaptive play components, trail connections to and from the Cross City Trail and bocce ball area which will create a small walking loop are expected to begin in the summer of 2018. Funding for the project is coming from a PARTF grant, Friends of Empie Park, the Greater Wilmington Tennis Association, and the City's Capital Improvement fund.
AGTC Clubhouse Hours:
Winter Hours (Dec. 1 - Feb. 29)
Monday - Thursday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Saturdays: 9 a.m. -5 p.m.
Hours March 1- November 30
Monday - Thursday: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Tennis Courts are open from sunrise to 11:00 pm.
Adaptive Tennis Clinics
Every Thursday from 4:30 p.m.- 6:00 p.m. on courts 11-13
More info: contact Billie Fitzsimons at email@example.com
Bouncing back with Tennis
Bouncing Back with Tennis is a support group that offers cancer survivors education and emotional support as well as activity through tennis. The program is free. Participants can be any cancer survivor regardless of their tennis knowledge and ability. Each two hour session involves an hour of learning/playing tennis and an hour of support/education.
Tuesday dates: June 5, July 3, August 7, September 4, October 2, November 6, December 4
Support meetings: 6:00 pm -7:00 pm
Tennis: 7 pm - 8 pm on Center Court
Tennis Complex Volunteers
LOOKING FOR TENNIS VOLUNTEERS! The Althea Gibson Tennis Complex is one of the fastest growing tennis parks in the area, and with your help, we can continue to grow! We have very exciting events taking place this upcoming year and we would love for you to participate.
If you are interested in more information, and/or would like to volunteer, please email Tari Ann at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 341.4631.
Ball Machine Rental
Ball Machine Rental Prices: $10 per hour of use and includes court rental
Ball Machine Rental Rules:
- Subject to a limited number of blackout dates.
- Can only be rented during tennis clubhouse operating hours
- Entitles 1 hour of daily use of the ball machine
- Ball Machine renter must be present on court and participating if another player is present.
- No transfers allowed.
- Reservations may be made up to 1 day in advance.
- Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
- North Carolina Tennis Association
- Southern Tennis Association
- Colonial Athletic Association
- Greater Wilmington Tennis Association
2018 Tournaments & Events
Please see calendar below that shows tournaments & events. Printable List