Althea Gibson moved to Wilmington in 1946 to attend high school and work on her tennis game with Dr. Hubert A. Eaton. She was a trailblazing athlete who became the first African-American to win Wimbledon, the French Open, the Australian Doubles and the US Open in the late 1950’s.
The complex has:
- 19 tennis courts with lights
- 1500 sq. ft. clubhouse with lounge, meeting room, and snack counter
Courts are open to the public on a walk up basis at no charge. You may also reserve a court for a fee.
AGTC Clubhouse Hours:
Winter Hours (Dec. 1 - Feb. 29)
Monday - Thursday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Saturdays: 9 a.m. -5 p.m.
Hours March 1- November 30
Monday - Thursday: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Tennis Courts are open from sunrise to 11:00 pm.
- $4.50 for 90 minutes for New Hanover County residents
Junior ProgramsWill resume in Spring 2019
Adaptive Tennis Clinics
Every Thursday February - November from 4:30 p.m.- 6:00 p.m. on courts 11-13
More info: contact Billie Fitzsimons at firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Try Tennis Clinics
Great for beginners and/or players that haven’t played tennis in a while.
Dates: October 22, 29; November 5, 12, 19, 26
Time: 10 am - 11 am
Cost: $40/session (includes 6-1 hr clinics, t-shirt, and racquet)
Register Online go to trytennis.net or click the following link:
Questions?: email email@example.com
Empie Park Projects Underway:
Empie Park Phase II
Work on Empie Park Phase II project is underway. The project is a continuation of the 2006 Empie Park Parks Bond Project and includes:
- 5 additional tennis courts with lights
- Connection between Park Avenue and Wrightsville Ave
- Sixty one (61) additional parking spaces
- Sidewalk connections that will connect to the Cross City Trail.
The project is scheduled to be completed in late fall.
The project cost is $1,081,000 which is funded by the city’s Capital Improvement Program. No closures are scheduled for Empie Park, the Althea Gibson Tennis Complex or the Cross City Trail. Construction trucks will be using Caswell Street as their point of entry/exit to the construction area.
Tennis Complex Volunteers
LOOKING FOR TENNIS VOLUNTEERS! The Althea Gibson Tennis Complex is one of the fastest growing tennis parks in the area, and with your help, we can continue to grow! We have very exciting events taking place this upcoming year and we would love for you to participate.
If you are interested in more information, and/or would like to volunteer, please email Tari Ann at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 341.4631.
Ball Machine Rental
Ball Machine Rental Prices: $10 per hour of use and includes court rental
Ball Machine Rental Rules:
- Subject to a limited number of blackout dates.
- Can only be rented during tennis clubhouse operating hours
- Entitles 1 hour of daily use of the ball machine
- Ball Machine renter must be present on court and participating if another player is present.
- No transfers allowed.
- Reservations may be made up to 1 day in advance.
- Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
- North Carolina Tennis Association
- Southern Tennis Association
- Colonial Athletic Association
- Greater Wilmington Tennis Association
2018 Tournaments & Events
Please see calendar below that shows tournaments & events. Printable List
Tennis for Life
- Date: 03/06/2018 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Location: Althea Gibson Tennis Complex
3405 Park Ave
wilmington, North Carolina 28403
- Introduction: TFL is an active support group for breast cancer survivors who have never played before, haven’t played in a while, or play all the time. This is a GWTA sponsored program.
Support meetings: 6:00 pm -7:00 pm
Tennis: 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm on center court
For more info contact: email@example.com