Note: you can know enter the complex from Park Avenue or Wrightsville Avenue.
Althea Gibson moved to Wilmington in 1946 to attend high school and work on her tennis game with Dr. Hubert A. Eaton. She was a trailblazing athlete who became the first African-American to win Wimbledon, the French Open, the Australian Doubles and the US Open in the late 1950’s.
The complex has:
- 24 tennis courts with lights
- 1500 sq. ft. clubhouse with lounge, meeting room, and snack counter
Courts are open to the public on a walk up basis at no charge. You may also reserve a court for a fee.
AGTC Clubhouse Hours:
Winter Hours (Dec. 1 - Feb. 29)
Monday - Thursday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Saturdays: 9 a.m. -5 p.m.
Hours March 1- November 30
Monday - Thursday: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Tennis Courts are open from sunrise to 11:00 pm.
- $4.50 for 90 minutes for New Hanover County residents
All current junior clinics are full. The next session of clinics will begin in the Fall.
Summer Tennis Camp
We will be offering summer camp for kids ages 5-15
June 17-21 9 am - 12 noon Cost: $150/week Camp is FULL. To sign up for wait list, call 341.4631.
Activities include: Daily Drilling, Match Play, Games and more!
There will be a low player to coach ratio so that you can receive high quality instruction.
Adaptive Tennis Clinics
Every Thursday February - November from 4:30 p.m.- 6:00 p.m. on courts 11-13
More info: contact Billie Fitzsimons at firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Try Tennis Clinics
Great for beginners and/or players that haven’t played tennis in a while.
Cost: $40 per session includes 6 - one hour clinics, a racquet, and a t-shirt
Empie Park Improvements
Empie Park Phase II
Work on Empie Park Phase II project is complete. A ribbon cutting will take place on Wed. April 10 @ 10 am at Empie Park. The public is welcome to attend.
The project is a continuation of the 2006 Empie Park Parks Bond Project and includes:
- 5 additional tennis courts with lights
- Connection between Park Avenue and Wrightsville Ave
- Sixty one (61) additional parking spaces
- Sidewalk connections that will connect to the Cross City Trail.
The project was funded by the city’s Capital Improvement Program.
Tennis Complex Volunteers
LOOKING FOR TENNIS VOLUNTEERS! The Althea Gibson Tennis Complex is one of the fastest growing tennis parks in the area, and with your help, we can continue to grow! We have very exciting events taking place this upcoming year and we would love for you to participate.
If you are interested in more information, and/or would like to volunteer, please email Tari Ann at email@example.com or call 341.4631.
Ball Machine Rental
Ball Machine Rental Prices: $10 per hour of use and includes court rental
Ball Machine Rental Rules:
- Subject to a limited number of blackout dates.
- Can only be rented during tennis clubhouse operating hours
- Entitles 1 hour of daily use of the ball machine
- Ball Machine renter must be present on court and participating if another player is present.
- No transfers allowed.
- Reservations may be made up to 1 day in advance.
- Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
- North Carolina Tennis Association
- Southern Tennis Association
- Colonial Athletic Association
- Greater Wilmington Tennis Association
2019 Tournaments & Events
Please see calendar below that shows tournaments & events.