- City tennis courts are open.
- The clubhouse restrooms will reopen on June 8 at 9 am. The restrooms will close daily at 7 pm.
- The Althea Gibson Tennis Complex will reopen on Wed. June 11.
Please maintain social distancing of 6 feet and follow all state and local guidelines.
Please visit website for city operation updates including the tennis complex.
The complex has:
- 24 tennis courts with lights
- 1500 sq. ft. clubhouse with lounge, meeting room, and snack counter
Courts are open to the public on a walk up basis at no charge. You may also reserve a court for a fee.
Tennis Courts are open from sunrise to 11:00 p.m.
- $4.50 for 90 minutes for New Hanover County residents
- $9 for 90 minutes for people who live outside of New Hanover County
Court reservations and program registrations may also be made online by visiting this website.
Junior Tennis Clinics
Clinics and camp are on hold at this time. Please email if you have questions.
Adaptive Tennis Clinics
Every Thursday February - November from 4:30 pm- 6 pm on courts 11-13
More info: contact Billie Fitzsimons at email@example.com
Upcoming Try Tennis Clinics
The Try Tennis program is an instructional program for adult beginners and it’s a great, affordable way to learn the fundamentals of tennis while making new friends.
The Try Play program is a follow-up to Try Tennis. It allows players to learn the ins-and-outs of playing a tennis match. These play-to-learn sessions consists of 50% play and 50% instruction, allowing you to play a match with little to no assistance when you are done.
This program is most ideal for Try Tennis graduates and beginner tennis players, that have very little match play experience, who are rated 2.5 and below, and are not registered with the USTA.
For more information, visit Website
Tennis Complex Volunteers
LOOKING FOR TENNIS VOLUNTEERS! The Althea Gibson Tennis Complex is one of the fastest growing tennis parks in the area, and with your help, we can continue to grow! We have very exciting events taking place this upcoming year and we would love for you to participate.
If you are interested in more information, and/or would like to volunteer, please email Tari Ann at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 341.4631.
Ball Machine Rental
Ball Machine Rental Prices: $10 per hour of use and includes court rental
Ball Machine Rental Rules:
- Subject to a limited number of blackout dates.
- Can only be rented during tennis clubhouse operating hours
- Entitles 1 hour of daily use of the ball machine
- Ball Machine renter must be present on court and participating if another player is present.
- No transfers allowed.
- Reservations may be made up to 1 day in advance.
- Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
- North Carolina Tennis Association
- Southern Tennis Association
- Colonial Athletic Association
- Greater Wilmington Tennis Association
2020 Tournaments & Events
Please see calendar below that shows tournaments & events. Printable list