City News

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Council meeting, June 19

Post Date:06/20/2018 10:26 AM

The Wilmington City Council met on Tuesday, June 19 at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall. Items of interest on the agenda included:

  • AMENDED AND APPROVED ON FIRST VOTE. Second vote scheduled for July 17. Visit www.wilmingtonnc.gov/rentals to view proposed changes. A public hearing on proposed regulations for short-term lodging (airbnb, vrbo, etc…) in the city. This item is before Council after an extensive public input and analysis by staff that began in early 2016. The proposed regulations address and authorize two types of short-term lodging:
    • “Homestay” lodging, or renting rooms with the host living in the residence full-time – would be permitted in all residential districts and some commercial and mixed use districts;
    • “Whole-house” lodging, or renting an entire home for short periods of time, but the host must live in the home at least six months out of the year – would be permitted in some mixed use and commercial districts only.
  • APPROVED. Consideration of a total of $35,000 for funding for the city’s annual 4th of July celebration, including the fireworks show and barge where the fireworks would be launched. The annual celebration attracts an estimated 45,000 visitors to downtown each year.
  • APPROVED. Renewal of existing agreements with the Wilmington Housing Authority (WHA) and New Hanover County Schools for the Wilmington Police Department to provide three police officers to the WHA and four to the schools. Both agencies reimburse the city for the officers.
  • APPROVED. After public hearings on several proposed rezonings, Council is expected to vote on final approval of the city budget for fiscal year 2018-19. By state law, the city must have an approved, balanced budget by June 30. Visit www.wilmingtonnc.gov/budget for more details.
  • APPROVED. Consideration of an agreement with New Hanover County to purchase and develop 14-acres of land in Echo Farms for a public park. The land purchase would be split evenly between the city and NHC and the city would pay 40 percent for development of the park with NHC paying the remaining 60 percent. The city’s total cost for everything in the agreement would be $1,686,800 and would come from the city’s savings account. If the agreement is approved, New Hanover County would assume responsibility for all operations and maintenance of the park, which would be constructed in five phases.Visit www.wilmingtonnc.gov/echofarms for more details. 

Watch the meeting.


City HallNOTE: There will only be one meeting in July. 
The next Council Meeting will be held on Tuesday, July 17. The agenda for this meeting will be posted on the city's website on Friday, July 13.
 
Meetings are held at 6:30 p.m. in Council Chambers, which is located on the second floor of City Hall at 102 North 3rd Street. Parking is available in the Thalian Hall parking lot or in the city parking deck located directly across from City Hall.

City Council agenda briefings, generally held at 8:30 a.m. the Monday before a Council meeting, are held on the 5th floor of 115 North 3rd Street (CresCom Bank building). Those wishing to live stream the agenda briefings can listen in at www.wilmingtonnc.gov/meetings.
 
Council meetings are also broadcast on GTV8 (Spectrum Cable channel 8) or simulcast by visiting the GTV8 web page. Following the meeting, videos and audio from agenda briefings are available on demand on the city's video archive web page.