Council meeting, Jan. 8
The regularly scheduled Council agenda briefing will be held in City Council Chambers at City Hall until further notice as the regular meeting room in the Harrelson Building sustained water damage.
The Wilmington City Council held their regularly scheduled agenda briefing on Monday, Jan. 7 beginning at 8:30 am. After the agenda briefing, Council discussed:
- Proposed consent order between DEQ and Chemours
- Possible regulations for short-term rentals (whole house) in the city
- Possible regulations and operations of electric scooters in the city
- Traffic management options for the 21st Street and Metts Avenue area
No official action on any of these items were taken at the meeting.
On Tuesday, Jan 8, the Wilmington City Council met at 6:30 p.m. Items of interest on the agenda included:
- An update from the NCDOT on College Road improvements
- APPROVED. An ordinance appropriating $2.3 million from the city’s savings account to pay the first installment of a $7 million settlement to Johnny Small. The city has three years to pay the full amount. The city announced the details of the settlement in December.
- APPROVED. A resolution to enter into an agreement with LIDL (grocery store) for the construction of a landscaped median and other improvements to Eastwood Road between Rogersville Road and Town Center Drive. This portion of median improvements are part of the overall 2014 Transportation Bond Eastwood Road Improvement Project, which is already underway. When complete later this year, the entire project will consist of a new landscaped median between Bretonshire Road and Cavalier Drive, a new traffic signal at Autumn Hall Drive, intersection improvements at Rogersville Road, and a new roundabout on Rogersville Road, where it will connect with Autumn Hall. The public and private projects located in the same area are being coordinated together to be more cost effective and have less impact on drivers.
NOTE: The next agenda briefing will be held on Tuesday, Jan. 22 because Monday is a holiday.
The next Council Meeting will be held on Tuesday, Jan. 22. The agenda for this meeting will be posted on the city's website on Friday, Jan. 18.
Meetings are held at 6:30 p.m. in Council Chambers, which is located on the second floor of City Hall at 102 North 3rd Street. Parking is available in the Thalian Hall parking lot or in the city parking deck located directly across from City Hall.
Council meetings are also broadcast on GTV8 (Spectrum Cable channel 8) or simulcast by visiting the GTV8 web page. Following the meeting, videos and audio from agenda briefings are available on demand on the city's video archive web page.