Appointments are made for three-year terms with no member serving more than two consecutive terms. Requires City residency.
Five (5) members, one (1) ex-officio member
- (1) member named by City Council
- (1) member named by the Wilmington Police Department
- (1) member named by the Wilmington Fire Department
- (1) member named by the sitting members of the Civil Service Commission
- (1) member named by the governing board of the New Hanover Co. Medical Society
- (1) ex-officio member, City of Wilmington Human Resources Director
The Civil Service Act has jurisdiction over an employee of the police department of the City of Wilmington certified in accordance with section 11.5 of this act, and who is clothed with the full power of arrest and whose primary duty is that of enforcing the criminal laws of the city and state, excluding those employees whose primary responsibility is that of issuing parking tickets or collecting fees. The Chief of the Police Department is not covered by the Civil Service Act.
The Act shall apply to an employee of the fire department of the City of Wilmington certified in accordance with section 11.5 of this act and whose primary function is that of protecting life and property through fire fighting, including those fire officers assigned to supporting services of the fire service. The Chief of the Fire Department is not covered by the Civil Service Act.
Meetings are held when required.
Term to Expire On:
|Dr. Carl King Rust, II||Medical Society||04/15/2021|
|James Rutherford||Wilmington Fire Dept.||04/15/2022|
|Thomas Hackler||Wilmington Police Dept.||08/01/2020|
|Charles Flowers||Sitting Members||05/01/2020|
|Al Ragland, HR Director||Ex-Officio||N/A|
Penny Spicer-Sidbury, City Clerk: (910) 341-7816