The FY18 Recommended budget was presented at the May 2, 2017, and was adopted at the June 20, 2017 City Council meeting.
- View the FY18 Adopted Budget
- View the FY18 Recommended Budget
- View the presentation
- Watch a video of the presentation
- City of Wilmington FY2017-2020 Strategic Plan
- FY18 Quarterly Report- 1st Quarter
- FY18 Quarterly Report- 2nd Quarter
- FY17 Quarterly Report - 1st Quarter
- FY17 Quarterly Report - 2nd Quarter
- FY17 Quarterly Report - 3rd Quarter
Highlights of the FY18 Adopted Budget
Total budget: $217.4 million
- Includes General Fund, Debt Service Fund, Capital Projects Fund, Program Funds and all fee-based enterprise funds
General Fund: $110.7 million
- No property tax rate adjustment for general fund operations
- Provided a 3% compensation increase for our workforce
- Incorporated a health insurance increase of $1M city-wide
- Continued core services with limited additions
- Funded areas in the strategic plan
- Strong savings (unassigned fund balance) for emergencies of $27M or 24.62% of operating
- Additional funding for the Safe Community/Youth Violence reduction focus
- Additional funding for Infrastructure Maintenance including continuing the 1st CIP and Transportation Bond and beginning the 2nd CIP and voter-approved Parks Bond projects
- Additional Internal support funding
- Continued funding for affordable housing, including home ownership and home repair programs
Distinguished Budget Presentation Award
The Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) presented an award of Distinguished Budget Presentation to the City of Wilmington for its annual budget for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2016.
In order to receive this award a governmental unit must publish a budget document that meets program criteria as a policy document, as an operations guide, as a financial plan and as a communication device.
This award is valid for a period of one year only. The City has been presented with this award for more than twenty (20) years. We believe that our current budget continues to conform to program requirements and we will submit it to the GFOA to determine its eligibility for another award.
Archived budget information may be obtained by contacting the Budget Office at 910-341-7827.
- FY17 Property tax rate is $0.485 per $100 of assessed valuation
- FY18 Recommended total city budget is $217.4M
- The revenue neutral tax rate , taking into account the growth factor of 1.74%, brings the tax rate to $0.4542 per $100 of assessed valuation. Anything above this rate is considered a tax change above FY17’s adopted tax rate.
- FY18 Recommended tax adjustment $0.0292 cents results in a recommended $0.4834 per $100 of assessed valuation. The adjustment recommendation is based on the following:
- 2nd CIP (80/20 plan)
- Water St. Collaboration
- 2016 Parks Bond
Budget and Research Office
- Ensure sensible control over city expenditures
- Participate in city's overall financial management
- Provide city officials with prompt and accurate budgetary services