In September 2015, the City of Wilmington and the Carolina Coast were selected as one of five communities across the state to take part in an economic development initiative called InnovateNC. A total of 18 NC communities applied for the program.
InnovateNC is a two-year project with a goal of fostering a creative, innovative environment similar to Research Triangle Park. The city will act as lead agency and will work with NC State University’s Institute for Emerging Issues and other partners to build a marine and life sciences economic cluster within the region. In addition, each city receives $250,000 in services to help support the initiative.
Wilmington Mayor Bill Saffo said, "We’re excited to work with some outstanding partners to learn and grow a unique economic development focus around marine and life sciences. This initiative will help us realize one of the Garner report's major recommendations by making Wilmington and the Carolina Coast a marine and biotech powerhouse."
- Read the press release from the Institute of Emerging Issues
- Read the City of Wilmington and Carolina Coast's application
- Learn more about the InnovateNC project
- Learn more about the Garner report
- City of Wilmington
- New Hanover County
- Town of Leland
- Marine Bio-Technologies Center of Innovation
- Brunswick County
- NC Biotech Center SE Office
- Brunswick Community College