Code Enforcement enforces city ordinances that provide a safe community and vibrant neighborhoods. Code Enforcement is responsible for increasing public understanding of the city's policies and procedures through community events. Code Enforcement Officers promote a healthy and safe environment for citizens and visitors by handling the following complaints: 

  • Yards or vacant lots that are a Public Nuisance because of high weeds, trash and debris. Make a PN complaint. 

Code Enforcement issues 2 types of permits, to apply click below: 
     *  Apply for a non-commercial poultry permit
     *  Apply for a non-commercial livestock/wild animal permit 

While many people think that problems can be immediately resolved by a visit from an officer, there is often a due process that must take place using Certified letters, inspections, minimum housing hearings, and sometimes a City Council public hearing. Minimum housing hearings are held in the second floor conference room of 305 Chestnut Street.

Hearing Scheduled  Type Case # Date Time
5039 Wrightsville Ave NRBC 19-2691 01/30/20 9:00 am
810 S 16th Street MHC 20-1624 01/30/20 9:00 am
705 Wooster Street MHC 19-2069 01/30/20 9:00 am
1216 Queen Street MHC 16-1599 01/30/20 9:00 am

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • Are there rules for parking my Recreational Vehicle?

  • How is an abandoned vehicle determined?

  • What is the non-residential business code?

  • What is the minimum housing code?

  • Are homeless encampments allowed?

  • How does the City deal with graffiti?

  • Does the City allow street furniture on sidewalks?

  • Does the City allow sidewalk cafes?

  • Are newspaper racks allowed on public rights-of-way?

  • Can I keep livestock?

  • What are the rules on kennels?

  • Can I keep chickens and fowl?

  • When are weeds too high?

  • Is a car without current tags considered a junked vehicle?

  • Is a landlord required to repair the dwelling I am renting?

  • How many unrelated people may occupy a dwelling?

  • May I place signs for special events, such as 'yard sales' or 'lost pets' in the right of way or on utility poles?

  • How do I contact Code Enforcement to report a violation?

  • Who do I call for animal control?