Right of Way Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The City Engineering Right-of-Way Program handles over 1,000 permits annually for various construction activities such as utility work, driveways and temporary road closures, etc. within the City right-of-ways (ROW).

Public ROW is property under the ownership and control of the City used for public streets and related purposes, including roads, curbs, driveways, sidewalks, alleys, bike paths, storm drainage and plaza areas. As a rule of thumb, the public ROW extends 10 to 12 feet beyond the edge of the street or curb to the beginning of a property line.

Receiving a Permit

Prior to commencing work, an application shall be submitted and approved. Once a completed application is received, the standard time to issue a permit is 24 to 72 hours. Driveways require 5 days from the time of approval to provide a survey stake out. Larger utility projects and activities, including traffic control plans require more details with reviews up to 30 days.

  • Once a permit is acquired, the contractor shall hold a pre-construction meeting with a City Inspector.
  • A valid permit must be kept on-site at all times.

Please note that submission of an application does not authorize the work and the City may prioritize based on urgency of needs. Also note that different types of permits exist in the City. There are other permits from Engineering such as storm water permits and encroachments for signs, or an extension of a building, etc. Permitting for fire systems, films, signs, special events or races, etc are handled by other City divisions.

Basic Steps


  1. Assemble Application Documents
  2. Submit to Engineering
  3. Pay Application Fee
  4. Contact Inspector
  5. Begin Work


Typical Permits


  • Driveway Construction
  • Sidewalk or Curb Construction
  • Irrigation systems


  • Temporary Closure of Road, Alley or Sidewalk (for construction, building maintenance, cranes, etc)
  • Awnings
  • Over-dimension Vehicle
  • Miscellaneous ROW Permits, incl:
    • Temp Building Material Storage
    • Temp Placement of Dumpster
    • Temp Mobile Storage Units
    • House Moving


  • Utility Installation
  • Pavement Cuts
  • Traffic Control Plans