The city continues to operate city services with several adjustments required to adhere to the CDC guidelines around social distancing and mass gatherings. The Billing & Collections Office is now open to the public. Hours of operation will be 09:00 am - 04:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Payments can be made by phone, mailing the payment or dropping off the payment at the Depository located past the drive-thru window. Include the remittance advice with payment. Please see payment information below:
- Payment by phone - between 09:00 am - 04:00 pm, 910-343-4745
- Payment by mail – City of Wilmington, Collections, PO Box 1810, Wilmington, NC 28402
- Payment drop off – drop payment into the depository box located pass the drive-thru window at the City of Wilmington, 305 Chestnut St, Wilmington, NC 28401 (No cash payments)
Please note payments will be processed daily.
What We Do
Visit our office for:
Visit our office or pay by mail for:
- Civil Penalties
- Parking Tickets
- SafeLight Tickets
- Fire Inspection Fees
- Police Services Fees
- Loan Payments
- Property Liens
- Business License
Paying by mail? Include the invoice or account number on all checks. Mail payments to:
City of Wilmington
Attn: Collections Department
PO Box 1810
Wilmington, NC 28402
- Small Business Loans
- Zoning Department, 910.254.0900
- NHC Register of Deeds
- 320 Chestnut St #102, 910.798.4530
- NC Secretary of State IRS, 910.254.5198
- NC Department of Revenue, 910.254.5000
- Downtown Services, for Vendor Carts
- RT Jones - 910.772.4177
- Effective July 1, 2015, the NC General Assembly eliminated the authority of municipalities to levy a business license tax with the exception of beer, wine, and taxicabs. For questions contact the Privilege License Dept - 910.342.2742.
- Businesses within the City of Wilmington are required to register your business with the NC Secretary of State or file your "DBA" at NHC Register of Deeds.
- Contact Zoning at 910.254.0900 to confirm your location is zoned for the business and the use is permitted.
- Selling beer and / or wine? Call Cpl J Smith - 910.341.0161.
Need Fingerprinting? Need Taxi / Limousine Permit?
- Must have a valid ID
- Available Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 9 am - 11 am and 1 pm - 3 pm
- $15.00 for 2 cards / $5.00 each additional card (FD-258 cards)
- Fee must be paid at the City of Wilmington Collections Department located on the 1st floor at 305 Chestnut St prior to fingerprinting. (ink only)
In order to obtain a Taxi Permit / Limousine Permit / all vehicles for hire you must:
- Pay the cost of the permit: $25.00
- Pay the cost of the business license: $15.00 per vehicle
- Fee must be paid at the City of Wilmington Collections Department located on the 1st floor at 305 Chestnut St
- Pay cost of Federal Background check: $18.00 (Paid directly to the FBI)
- Have a valid ID
- Have a letter of introduction from a taxi company
- Have a completed application
- Have a picture (will be taken by the permit administer)
- Have drug screen results (drug screening costs: $25.00 to $35.00)
- For reference purposes: City Ordinance for vehicle for hire: Part II, Chapter 4, Article V
Small Business Start-up Help
CFCC Small Business Center
SCORE - Confidential No-Cost Business Counseling
- Additional Information
Buying / selling gold? Call Detective T Spencer, 910.341.0160.