What We Do
Visit our office for:
- Business License (Privilege License)
- Trash Bags and Stickers
- Legal Payments
Visit our office or pay by mail for:
- Civil Penalties
- Parking Tickets
- SafeLight Tickets
- Fire Inspection Fees
- Police Services Fees
- Loan Payments
- Property Liens
- Business License
Paying by mail? Include the invoice or account number on all checks. Mail payments to:
City of Wilmington
ATTN: Collections Office
P.O. Box 1810
Wilmington, NC 28402
- Small Business Loans
- Zoning Department, 910.254.0900
- NHC Register of Deeds
- 320 Chestnut St, 910.798.4530
- NC Secretary of State IRS, 910.254.5198
- NC Department of Revenue, 910.254.5000
- Downtown Services, for Vendor Carts
- RT Jones - 910.772.4177
Business License (Privilege License) - Beer, Wine, and Taxicabs
- Effective July 1, 2015, the NC General Assembly eliminated the authority of municipalities to levy a business license tax with the exception of beer, wine, and taxicabs.
- Businesses within the City of Wilmington are required to register your business with the NC Secretary of State or file your "DBA" at NHC Register of Deeds.
- Contact Zoning at 910.254.0900 to confirm your location is zoned for the business and the use is permitted.
- Selling beer and / or wine? Call Cpl. Reece - 910.343.3602.
Need Fingerprinting? Need Taxi / Limousine Permit?
- Must have a valid I.D.
- Available Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 9 a.m. - 11.a.m. and 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
- $15.00 for 2 cards/ $5.00 each additional card (FD-258 cards)
- Fee must be paid at the City of Wilmington Collections Department located on the 1st Floor at 305 Chestnut St prior to fingerprinting. (ink only)
In order to obtain a Taxi Permit / Limousine Permit / all vehicles for hire you must:
- Pay the cost of the permit: $25.00
- Pay the cost of the business license: $15.00 per vehicle
- Fee must be paid at the City of Wilmington Collections Department located on the 1st Floor at 305 Chestnut St
- Pay cost of Federal Background check: $18.00 (Paid directly to the FBI)
- Have a valid I.D.
- Have a letter of introduction from a taxi company
- Have a completed application
- Have a picture (will be taken by the permit administer)
- Have drug screen results (drug screening costs: $25.00 to $35.00)
- For reference purposes: City Ordinance for vehicle for hire: Part II, Chapter 4, Article V
Operating a Business
If you are doing business within the City limits, you may be required to obtain a business license.
- Call 910.342.2742 to find out if you need a business license.
- Know you need one?
Small Business Start-up Help
CFCC Small Business Center
SCORE - Confidential No-Cost Business Counseling
Buying / selling gold? Call Detective T. Spencer, 910.341.0160.