The city continues to operate city services with several adjustments required so that we can adhere to the CDC guidelines around social distancing and mass gatherings. The Billing & Collections Office is closed to the public until further notice. Payments can be made by phone, mailing the payment or dropping off the payment at the Depository located past the drive-thru window. Include the remittance advice with payment. Please see payment information below:
- Payment by phone - between 10:00 am to 03:00 pm, 910-343-4745
- Payment by mail – City of Wilmington, Collections, PO Box 1810, Wilmington, NC 28402
- Payment drop off – drop payment into the depository box located pass the drive-thru window at the City of Wilmington, 305 Chestnut St, Wilmington, NC 28401 (No cash payments)
Please note payments will be processed daily and licenses will be mailed out promptly.
What We Do
Visit our office for:
Visit our office or pay by mail for:
- Civil Penalties
- Parking Tickets
- SafeLight Tickets
- Fire Inspection Fees
- Police Services Fees
- Loan Payments
- Property Liens
- Business License
Paying by mail? Include the invoice or account number on all checks. Mail payments to:
City of Wilmington
Attn: Collections Department
PO Box 1810
Wilmington, NC 28402
- Small Business Loans
- Zoning Department, 910.254.0900
- NHC Register of Deeds
- 320 Chestnut St #102, 910.798.4530
- NC Secretary of State IRS, 910.254.5198
- NC Department of Revenue, 910.254.5000
- Downtown Services, for Vendor Carts
- RT Jones - 910.772.4177
- Effective July 1, 2015, the NC General Assembly eliminated the authority of municipalities to levy a business license tax with the exception of beer, wine, and taxicabs. For questions contact the Privilege License Dept - 910.342.2742.
- Businesses within the City of Wilmington are required to register your business with the NC Secretary of State or file your "DBA" at NHC Register of Deeds.
- Contact Zoning at 910.254.0900 to confirm your location is zoned for the business and the use is permitted.
- Selling beer and / or wine? Call Cpl J Smith - 910.341.0161.
Need Fingerprinting? Need Taxi / Limousine Permit?
- Must have a valid ID
- Available Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 9 am - 11 am and 1 pm - 3 pm
- $15.00 for 2 cards / $5.00 each additional card (FD-258 cards)
- Fee must be paid at the City of Wilmington Collections Department located on the 1st floor at 305 Chestnut St prior to fingerprinting. (ink only)
In order to obtain a Taxi Permit / Limousine Permit / all vehicles for hire you must:
- Pay the cost of the permit: $25.00
- Pay the cost of the business license: $15.00 per vehicle
- Fee must be paid at the City of Wilmington Collections Department located on the 1st floor at 305 Chestnut St
- Pay cost of Federal Background check: $18.00 (Paid directly to the FBI)
- Have a valid ID
- Have a letter of introduction from a taxi company
- Have a completed application
- Have a picture (will be taken by the permit administer)
- Have drug screen results (drug screening costs: $25.00 to $35.00)
- For reference purposes: City Ordinance for vehicle for hire: Part II, Chapter 4, Article V
Small Business Start-up Help
CFCC Small Business Center
SCORE - Confidential No-Cost Business Counseling
- Additional Information
Buying / selling gold? Call Detective T Spencer, 910.341.0160.