Education Requests & Public Programs
Education requests must be made at least three weeks in advance by completing a Fire Education Request Form.
The following educational programs are available at no cost to our citizens:
- Station Tours. Fire Station Tours are conducted at any of the city's 10 fire stations. Tours are educational and available to any age group.
- Truck Display. We offer educational access to fire trucks for a special event or lesson. (No birthday parties, fundraisers or customer appreciation events) WFD apparatus is limited to one hour, and may respond to calls during the course of your event.
- Fire Extinguisher Training. Learn the proper use of a multi-purpose fire extinguisher with this practical training. Groups of at least ten (ages 14 and up) and an outdoor space are necessary for this training.
- Youth Fire Setter Intervention & Education. Know a child or young adult that you believe may have set or be setting fires? Fire Setting is a dangerous behavior, and requires preventative family measures and offers intervention when deemed necessary. Let us help guide your family to safety with this family-based educational program.
- Safety Programs for Civic Groups. Looking for a program for a monthly church or civic organization? We'd love to share safety information with you. We are happy to tailor make a program to suit your group's needs!
If you have any questions about any of our educational programs, please contact Wendy at 910.342.2731.
Education requests must be made at least three weeks in advance by completing the Fire Education Request Form above.
Car Seat Program
Is your child's car seat installed correctly? Know for sure by having a certified car seat technician from WFD's Child Passenger Safety Program help educate you on the proper installation of your child's car seat.
All of Wilmington's fire stations are manned with trained Child Passenger Safety Technicians, but please call before coming to check the technician's availability. Inspections are offered from 9:00 - 11:30 am and 1:30 - 4:00 pm daily. Our Permanent Checking Stations offer you assistance in the correct installation of your child safety seat. Technicians are trained to educate you!
Please call in advance and speak to the Child Passenger Safety Tech at the station closest to you before making the trip.
Contact Wendy at 910.342.2731 to learn more about the program.
For general information visit http://www.buckleupnc.org
**If there is no answer, the firefighters may be out assisting with emergencies in our city. Feel free to call back at a later time or contact your next closest fire station.
The Wilmington Fire Department recommends that smoke alarms are checked monthly to ensure that they are in working condition. Additionally, we recommend that you replace the batteries in all battery-operated smoke alarms at least twice a year. Each bedroom, the hallways outside sleeping areas and living rooms should have a working smoke alarms.
The Wilmington Fire Department can assist with battery replacement (please provide your own batteries), testing or installation of smoke alarms in your home. If someone in your home is deaf or hard of hearing, we can also assist with adaptive smoke alarm technology. Please contact Wendy Giannini-King at 910.342.2731 for more information.