Wilmington Fire Department Recruitment Information
The Application window has closed for Fall Recruitment.
Approved applicants will receive emails with next steps by Thursday, September 19, 2019
To apply, the applicant must be at least 19 years of age by the closing of the post date, have a minimum of a High School Diploma or GED and possess a valid driver's license. When submitting the online application, the applicant must electronically submit the following:
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of Official High School Diploma, High School Transcript or GED Certificate
- Copy of current and valid Driver's License
- Copy of CFCC Placement English Test results- within 5 years / Transcript showing passing grade of English 111 through CFCC within past 4 years
If you are interested in becoming a firefighter, you are encouraged to visit
Wilmington Fire Stations and ask questions!
The Wilmington Fire Department will receive 300-400 applications per posting period. Applicants are encouraged to study, prepare and practice prior to attending the process. Candidates must demonstrate a strong work ethic, responsibility, motivation, determination and team work. Firefighting experience is not required, all knowledge needed will be given during Recruit Academy.
Applicants will be required to successfully complete the following screenings:
- Aptitude Test
- Strength and Agility Test
- Audio Interview
- Panel Interview
- Passing results of English Placement test through CFCC*
- Criminal Background Investigation
- Driving History Check
- Personal and Professional reference check
- Pre-Employment Physical, Stress Test and Drug Screen
* All Firefighter Academy candidates must complete the CFCC Placement English Test prior to being hired in order to participate in the EMT portion of the recruit academy. The course requirement for the EMT class is an English Placement score of 151 or completion of English 111 though CFCC. Even though you may have a degree or have completed an English course from another College or University, you are still required to complete the Cape Fear Community College (CFCC) Placement English Test. If you have previously tested with CFCC and received a score of 151, or completed English 111 though CFCC, you meet the requirements but must show proof. Applicants must submit their passing score documentation to Human Resources. Scores can be obtained from the Admissions Office. Please visit the testing center website to schedule your exam.
Note: Correspondence will be sent to candidates using only the e-mail address included on the application.
Please monitor your e-mail closely after the posted closing date.
Due to the number of applicants, phone calls will not be accepted or returned
FireTEAM is a video-based testing system that assesses critical skills necessary to be a firefighter and includes the often overlooked content areas of teamwork and human relations as well as mechanical aptitude, reading ability and basic math skills.
***NOTE: It is highly recommended that interested applicants prepare for this test.***
You may purchase practice exams from Ergometrics.
Strength and Agility
Firefighters need to be physically fit in order to perform their job safely. Candidates of the hiring process can find out more information pertaining to the Strength and Agility test by watching the video below. More information can also be obtained by reviewing the Strength and Agility Test Booklet.
Salary & Benefits
Starting salary: $35,691.84
Comprehensive benefits package including :
- United Health Care PPO or HDHP
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending
- Retirement- 4.5% contribution to 401k or 457 plans and in lieu of social security the city will contribute an additional 3% to the 457 plan. If you elect to contribute an additional 3% to the 457 plan, the city will match your 3% contribution.
- Term Life Insurance
- Supplemental Benefit options
- Critical Illness
- Short Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Hospital Indemnity
- Identity Protection
- EAP Services
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Sick Time
- Education Reimbursement- $1500 PFY
- Education Incentive
- $1,000 - Associate Degree
- $2,000 - Bachelor's Degree
Applications are only accepted during active recruitment periods. Please sign up for a Job Interest Card with the category of "Public Safety" to be notified of future open positions.
Recruit Class of 2017
Over the course of 6 months, each member completed approximately 847 hours of training along with 121 hours of physical training. During this time our recruits achieved state certifications for Emergency Medical Technician, Fire Fighter, Shipboard Firefighting and Hazardous Materials Operations as well as Child Passenger Safety Seat Technician. The class was also trained in Firefighter Rescue, Safety and Survival.
Why do you love working at WFD?
- 24 Hour Shifts
- 220 Personnel
- Water Rescue
- Tactical Rescue
801 Market Street
Wilmington, North Carolina 28401
Human Resource Technician