City of Wilmington offers an excellent Employee Benefits Package, available to Regular employees who work at least 30 hours per week. For more details, please call the Human Resources Department at 910.341.0231 or email our Benefits Administrator.
The City of Wilmington offers two health plans offered by UnitedHealthCare:
- The PPO plan provides a deductible, annual maximum and co pays for office visits, prescriptions drugs, and urgent care and emergency room services when using network providers. The plan has both in-network and out-of network coverage with differing deductibles.
- The High-Deductible Health Care Plan (HDHCP) with a Health Savings Account (HSA) has higher deductibles. With this plan, the employee pays for all services, including prescription medications, up to the deductible. After reaching the deductible, the plan pays 90% for services received from in-network providers and prescriptions. The HSA can be used to pay for the deductible and out of pocket costs not covered by insurance. For employees who choose the HDHCP, the City makes a monthly contribution to your HSA account.
Employees may choose from:
- Employee only
- Family coverage.
The City of Wilmington offers dental coverage through Delta Dental of NC. Employees may choose from Employee only; Employee Child(ren); Employee Spouse; or Family coverage. Visit the Delta Dental Website for more information.
The City of Wilmington offers vision coverage through Community Eye Care. Employees may chose from Employee only; Employee plus one; or Employee family. Visit the Community Eye Care Website for more information.
The City offers the opportunity to reduce medical health care premiums and earn money to pay for eligible medical expenses by participating in many wellness initiatives.
The City clinic is located at 800 Shipyard Blvd., Suite 1 and provides wellness services free of charge for covered employees and dependents over the age of 14. The clinic also offers many maintenance prescriptions free or for a low cost.
The clinic hours of operation are from 8 am to 1 pm daily. Employees should call 910.202.3965 to schedule an appointment.
Flexible Spending Account
There are two optional programs offered through Flores & Associates that allow the employee to save pre-tax dollars for unreimbursed medical expenses and dependent care expenses. To access flexible spending account forms visit the Flores & Associates Website or to speak to a representative call 1.800.532.3327 .
Employees begin mandatory participation in the North Carolina Local Governmental Retirement System immediately upon hire. The employee contributes 6% of gross wages to the retirement program. The City also makes contributions based on guidelines provided by the Retirement System. For more information on the Retirement System visit the NC Treasurer Website or call 1.877.627.3287.
- Local Governmental Employees' Handbook
- Law Enforcement Officers' Handbook
- Retirement System Applications and Forms
The City of Wilmington offers two deferred compensation programs, Prudential 401(K) and ICMA 457. For all employees, the City contributes 4.5% of salary to either plan regardless of employee contribution. Employees may choose to contribute additional money to the deferred compensation plans within IRS guidelines.
Sworn Police Officers - The City contributes an additional 5% of your salary to the LEO 401(k) plan for all Sworn Law Enforcement Officers.
Sworn Fire Employees - The City contributes an additional 3% of your salary to the 457 plan. In addition, the City offers to match an employee’s contribution dollar for dollar up to 3% of the annual salary for Fire employees.
- Prudential 401(k) Plan or call toll free at 1.866.NCPlans or 1.866.627.5267.
- ICMA 457 Plan or call toll free at 1.800.669.7400
Term Life And Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
One America is the City's life insurance carrier. Coverage provides the employee's beneficiary with life and accidental death benefits. If the death is due to accidental causes, not related to drug or alcohol, the plan will pay the beneficiary an additional one time annual salary. Employee's can purchase additional term life insurance for their spouse and dependent children at a nominal cost. Supplemental term life for you family can be purchased during open enrollment.
Supplemental Benefit Options
Each year during open enrollment, held in April, the City offers a variety of optional insurance programs through payroll deduction. During this time you may select coverages for Short-term and/or Long-term disability, whole and term life insurance; Cancer, Critical Illness, hospital INdemnity and Accident Insurance.
Employee Assistance Program
The City of Wilmington provides an employee assistance program and work-life services from ComPsych The Guidance Resource Company. This employer-sponsored benefit is available at no cost to our employees and their immediate family. To access services, call 1.800.327.1850 and identify yourself as a City of Wilmington employee. The following benefits are available, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year:
ComPsych is a leading provider of EAP services in the country, and the EAP is strictly confidential, as mandated by law. Please take advantage of this benefit to help you and your family manage any personal challenges in your life. To access these resources online, click here.
The City recognizes the following days as paid holidays (2019):
- New Years Day (January 1)
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (January 21)
- Good Friday (April 19)
- Memorial Day (May 27)
- Independence Day (July 4)
- Labor Day (September 2)
- Veterans’ Day (November 11)
- Thanksgiving (November 28, 29)
- Christmas (December 24, 25, 26)
- Paid Vacation Leave
- Paid Sick leave
- Sick Leave Bank Program
- Paid Bereavement Leave
- Military Leave
- Civic Leave
- Educational Leave
- Paid Parental Leave
Training and Promotions
The City of Wilmington is committed to providing training opportunities to its employees to enhance their abilities on the job. Various professional and personal development opportunities are available. It is also the City’s desire to create career opportunities for its employees. Promotional vacancies are publicized in the various departments, and applicants are assessed on the basis of their qualifications and work record - without regard to age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin or disability.
The City of Wilmington considers its employees its most valuable asset. To this end, the City Safety Manager is responsible for ensuring a safe and healthful workplace.
The Safety Manager does this by implementing the best safety programs and controls, including:
- Workplace inspections
- Training program live an on-line
- City Safety Committee
- Implements the City Safety Program and maintains safety policy
- Ensures complete compliance with workplace safety and health standards
- Fair worker's compensation system for workplace injuries
In addition, the Safety Manager actively pursues additional methods to increase the safety and healthfulness of the city working environment, including:
- Voluntary compliance programs with OSHA
- Pursues the latest safety technology strategies
- Includes active employee support and involvement - a good safety program is willing to listen to its employees
- Includes active City Management support and involvement
The City of Wilmington Safety Program's goal of injury reduction has been recognized numerous times by the North Carolina Department of Labor Safety Awards Program.
*Please return all completed forms to Human Resources
- HSA Contribution Change Form
- FSA Dependent Care Reimbursement Form
- FSA Status Change Form
- FSA Direct Deposit Form
- Employee Personal Information Form
- Sick Leave Bank Election Form
- Sick Leave Bank Withdrawal Form
- Outside Employment Verification Form
- Fire & Police Education Pay Form
- Education Assistance Form
- Request for FMLA leave (return form to supervisor)
- Cell Phone Stipend