In addition to wages, the City of Wilmington offers an excellent benefit package, available to Regular employees who work at least 30 hours per week. Following is a brief description of the many valuable benefits. For more details, please call the Human Resources Department at 910.341.7840 or email our Benefits Administrator.
The City of Wilmington offers two health plans offered by Blue Cross & Blue Shield of North Carolina:
- The Blue Options PPO plan provides a deductible, annual maximum and co pays for office visits, prescriptions drugs, and urgent care and emergency room services when using network providers. The plan has both in-network and out-of network coverage with differing deductibles.
- The Blue Options High-Deductible Health Care Plan (HDHCP) with a Health Savings Account (HSA) has higher deductibles. With this plan, the employee pays for all services, including prescription medications, up to the deductible. After reaching the deductible, the plan pays 90% for services received from in-network providers and prescriptions, until you reach an out of pocket maximum of $3,000. The HSA can be used to pay for the deductible and out of pocket costs not covered by insurance. For employees who choose the HDHCP, the City makes a monthly contribution to your HSA account.
Employees may choose from:
- Employee only
- Family coverage.
The City of Wilmington offers dental coverage through Delta Dental of NC. Employees may choose from Employee only; Employee Child(ren); Employee Spouse; or Family coverage. Visit the Delta Dental Website for more information.
The City of Wilmington offers vision coverage through Community Eye Care. Employees may chose from Employee only; Employee plus one; or Employee family. Visit the Community Eye Care Website for more information.
Flexible Spending Account
There are two optional programs offered through Flores & Associates that allow the employee to save pre-tax dollars for unreimbursed medical expenses and dependent care expenses. To access flexible spending account forms visit the Flores & Associates Website or to speak to a representative call 1.800.532.3327 .
Direct deposit is mandatory for all employees.
Electronic Paystubs are accessible at Doculivery Website.
- Instant Access to Secure Paystubs
- Paystubs show all Deductions and Employer Paid Benefits
- Text and E-Mail Notifications
- Paystubs Retained for 7 years
- Electronic W2s
Employees begin mandatory participation in the North Carolina Local Governmental Retirement System immediately upon hire. The employee contributes 6% of gross wages to the retirement program. The City also makes contributions based on guidelines provided by the Retirement System. For more information on the Retirement System viisit the NC Treasurer Website or call 1.877.627.3287.
- Local Governmental Employees' Handbook
- Law Enforcement Officers' Handbook
- Retirement System Applications and Forms
The City of Wilmington offers two deferred compensation programs, Prudential 401(K) and ICMA 457 with many investment options. Under these programs, the contribution is payroll-deducted, and earnings are tax sheltered. With both programs, employees may borrow against their balance. For all employees, the City contributes 4.5% of salary to either the 401(k) or 457 plans regardless of employee contribution. Employees may choose to contribute additional money to the deferred compensation plans within IRS guidelines, without a matching contribution from the City.
Sworn Police Officers - The City contributes an additional 5% of your salary to the LEO 401(k) plan for all Sworn Law Enforcement Officers.
Sworn Fire Employees - The City contributes an additional 3% of your salary to the 457 plan. In addition, the City offers to match an employee’s contribution dollar for dollar up to 3% of the annual salary for Fire employees.
- Prudential 401(k) Plan or call toll free at 1.866.NCPlans or 1.866.627.5267.
- ICMA 457 Plan or call toll free at 1.800.669.7400
Term Life And Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
Sun Life Financial is the City’s term-life insurance provider. In the event an employee passes away while employed for the City, the designated beneficiary will receive payment equal to one times your base salary. The City pays 100% of the cost for this benefit. If the death is due to accidental causes, not related to drug or alcohol, the plan will pay the beneficiary an additional one time annual salary. Employee's can purchase additional term life insurance for their spouse and dependent children at a nominal cost. Supplemental term life for you family can be purchased during open enrollment.
Supplemental Benefit Options
Each year during open enrollment, usually held in April, the City offers a variety of optional insurance programs through payroll deduction. During this time you may select coverages for Short-term and/or Long-term disability, whole and term life insurance; Cancer, Critical Illness and Accident Insurance.
- Lincoln Financial or call 1.800.423.2765.
- UNUM or call 1.800.635.5597.
- Transamerica or call 1.800.251.7254.
- Allstate or call 1-800-521-3535.
City Health Clinic
The City of Wilmington Wellness Clinic provides employees and dependents over the age of 14, covered by our health insurance, wellness services free of charge. Wellness services include items such as: the annual risk assessment, risk related lab work like A1C and blood panels tests for ongoing medications; vital sign monitoring like checking your blood pressure and glucose levels; Counseling for weight management and smoking cessation among others, and offers many maintenance prescriptions free or for a low cost.
The Clinic offers limited acute care services. These are limited to illnesses such as strep throat, respiratory infections and other non recurring illnesses. These services have a $20.00 co-pay for all employees and their dependents.
Employees and covered family members must be covered by BCBS in order to utilize the clinic. The clinic hours of operation are from 8 am to 1 pm daily. Employees should call 910.202.3965 to schedule an appointment. The clinic is located at 800 Shipyard Blvd., Suite 1.
Employee Assistance Program
The City of Wilmington provides an employee assistance program and work-life services from ComPsych The Guidance Resource Company. This employer-sponsored benefit is available at no cost to our employees and their immediate family. To access services, call 1.800.327.1850 and identify yourself as a City of Wilmington employee. The following benefits are available, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year:
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) - Complete referral assistance to in-person emotional counseling support, helping you and your family members address an array of personal difficulties, including stress, anxiety, depression, family/marital relationships, substance abuse, difficulties at work, etc.
- FamilySource - Can help you sort out issues like being a new parent, locating a quality caregiver for an elder, sending your child to college, choosing a contractor, finding pet care, and more. FamilySource will provide expert information and identify specific resources and referrals to help you make your decision.
- LegalConnect - Provides telephone access to licensed attorneys for information about any legal concern you may be facing, whether it is regarding a home purchase, estate issues, or any legal issue. If your legal matter requires in-person assistance, you are eligible to receive a free half-hour consultation with the ComPsych selected, in-network attorney, in your area. After the consultation, you are eligible to receive a 25% discount on his or her customary legal fees thereafter.
- FinancialConnect - Allows you to consult directly with a financial professional by telephone. Call anytime for tools and information regarding your specific financial questions on: budgeting, tax issues, credit cards and loans, investment resources and other money matters.
- EstateGuidance - Now with EstateGuidance, you have the opportunity to create a will at no cost. This benefit offers you the ease and simplicity of online will preparation-right on your PC! By creating an online will you can do the following: Name a guardian for your children, name an executor(s) to settle your estate, specify funeral and burial wishes, and make revisions at no cost for up to 30 days.
ComPsych is a leading provider of EAP services in the country, and the EAP is strictly confidential, as mandated by law. Please take advantage of this benefit to help you and your family manage any personal challenges in your life. To access these resources online, click here.
The City recognizes the following days as paid holidays (2018):
- New Years Day (January 1)
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (January 15)
- Good Friday (March 30)
- Memorial Day (May 28)
- Independence Day (July 4)
- Labor Day (September 3)
- Veterans’ Day (November 12)
- Thanksgiving (November 22, 23)
- Christmas (December 24, 25, 26)
The City of Wilmington has established policies which relate to the following leave types. Please refer to the City’s intranet webpage for specific information.
- Paid Vacation leave
- Paid sick leave
- Family and medical leave (FMLA)
- Paid bereavement leave
- Military leave
- Civic Leave
- Educational Leave
- Paid administrative leave
- Membership in Sick Leave Bank Program
Training and Promotions
The City of Wilmington is committed to providing training opportunities to its employees to enhance their abilities on the job. Various professional and personal development opportunities are available. It is also the City’s desire to create career opportunities for its employees. Promotional vacancies are publicized in the various departments, and applicants are assessed on the basis of their qualifications and work record - without regard to age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin or disability.
The City of Wilmington considers its employees its most valuable asset. To this end, the City Safety Manager is responsible for ensuring a safe and healthful workplace.
The Safety Manager does this by implementing the best safety programs and controls, including:
- Workplace inspections
- Training program live an on-line
- City Safety Committee
- Implements the City Safety Program and maintains safety policy
- Ensures complete compliance with workplace safety and health standards
- Fair worker's compensation system for workplace injuries
In addition, the Safety Manager actively pursues additional methods to increase the safety and healthfulness of the city working environment, including:
- Voluntary compliance programs with OSHA
- Pursues the latest safety technology strategies
- Includes active employee support and involvement - a good safety program is willing to listen to its employees
- Includes active City Management support and involvement
The City of Wilmington Safety Program's goal of injury reduction has been recognized numerous times by the North Carolina Department of Labor Safety Awards Program.
*Please return all completed forms to Human Resources
- Direct Deposit Enrollment/Change Form
- NC EZ4
- W-4 Tax Form
- Payroll Adjustment Form
- Payroll Advance - Repayment Form
- Insurance Change Form for Qualifying Life Events -add/remove dependents or change coverage
- HSA Contribution Change Form
- FSA Dependent Care Reimbursement Form
- FSA Status Change Form
- FSA Direct Deposit Form
- UNUM Supplemental Benefits Change Form
- The Hartford (Life, LTD) Enrollment Form
- The Hartford (Life, LTD) Beneficiary Designation
- Employee Personal Information Form
- Sick Leave Bank Election Form
- Sick Leave Bank Withdrawal Form
- Outside Employment Verification Form
- Application for Educational Assistance
- Request for FMLA leave (return form to supervisor)
- Certification of Health Care Provider for Employee's Servious Health Condition (380-E)
- Certification of Health Care Provider for Family Member's Servious Health Condition (380-F)
- Cell Phone Stipend