On April 19, 2017, city staff and design firm Stewart Engineering met with property owners who would be directly impacted by land acquisition and design of the trail. At the meeting, property owners learned what the project goals are and saw the potential path for the trail.
- View a fact sheet about the project
- View information sheets about the project from Stewart Engineering
- View a draft map showing the proposed path of the trail from Stewart Engineering (8.42 MB)
There will be additional public information meetings for the area. Construction on this trail is expected to take approximately one year to complete.
Masonboro Loop Trail
This 1.4-mile multi-use path will run along Masonboro Loop Road, from Navaho Trail to Pine Grove. It will connect nearby neighborhoods such as Andrews Reach and Dawning Creek Way to Parsley Elementary School and provide safe bicycle/pedestrian access to commercial areas along Masonboro Loop Road such as Masonboro Station and Masonboro Commons.
- Provides safe option for many nearby residents to get to Parsley Elementary School, avoiding vehicular congestion in the area that occurs before and after school as children are being dropped off and picked up
- Maximizes use of public dollars by complementing and expanding upon existing trails
- Helps create safe connections for bicycling and walking between existing and planned trails in fast growing area
- Provides healthy, safe option to get exercise
- Provides walking/biking as another way to reach commercial areas, getting cars off congested roads
- Addresses one of the top priorities identified from citizens in neighborhood meetings held around the city earlier this year as part of city’s effort to develop long-term plan for growth