South College Trail
Work on the 1.3-mile South College Trail began in May, 2018. The $1.44 million trail will travel along the west side of South College Road between Holly Tree Road and 17th Street/Waltmoor Drive. In addition to connecting with the Gary Shell Cross City Trail, and providing future connection to the planned Greenville Loop Trail, this trail will allow for safe walking/biking along this busy section of South College Road. It will also connect Pine Valley and other neighborhoods with the retail center at 17th and College, home of grocery stores and many other retail establishments and restaurants. The trail also addresses one of the top priorities for more pedestrian trails identified from citizens in neighborhood meetings held around the city as part of city’s effort to develop long-term plan for growth. The project is expected to be complete by the end of 2018.
- Maximizes use of public dollars by complementing and expanding upon existing trails
- Helps create safe connections for bicycling and walking between existing and planned trails
- Provides healthy, safe option to get exercise
- Provides walking/biking as another way to reach commercial areas, getting cars off congested roads
- Addresses one of the top priorities identified from citizens in neighborhood meetings held around the city as part of city’s effort to develop long-term plan for growth