Phase I of the project is now complete and the street is open
Repairs are currently underway to the Visitor's Center at the foot of Market Street. This work will wrap up in May.
The city, in conjunction with the US Coast Guard and the Cape Fear Public Utility Authority, has begun Phase I of a major, $6.3 million overhaul of Riverfront Park and Water Street. This project includes underground repairs to the bulkhead as well as new stormwater facilities, water and sewer lines. Above the ground, it will include repairs to the Riverwalk, renovation of Riverfront Park, expansion of the plaza in front of the Federal Courthouse and streetscape improvements. The work will take place between the foot of Market Street and Walnut Street and will occur in several phases:
Phase I (Sept 2015 –April 2017) COMPLETE
- Stormwater replacement in the intersection of Princess and Water Streets
- CFPUA water/sewer installation in Water Street between Market and Princess Streets (in front of the Federal Courthouse)
- Repair to bulkhead at the foot of Market Street
- Renovations to Riverfront Park at the foot of Market Street
Phase IA (will begin once the Coast Guard has obtained funding)
- Extensive repair of the Coast Guard bulkhead from the Federal Courthouse north to approximately Chestnut Street
- Installation of new amenities in Riverfront Park and streetscaping in front of the Federal Courthouse up to Princess Street.
Phase II (the portion in front of the Water Street deck, between Chestnut and Grace Streets, will be completed during the second half of 2017, in conjunction with the deck demolition and early phases of construction of Riverplace.
- New water and sewer lines underneath Water Street between Princess Street and Walnut Street
- Road reconstruction and new streetscaping of this section of Water Street
- Rebuild of the CFPUA Walnut Street sewer pump station for the future abandonment of Market Street sewer pump station (this may be broken out as a final 3rd phase).
Below the ground
- Replacement of aging water and sewer pipes in the 00 block of N Water St
- Stormwater repairs in Princess St / Water St intersection
- Bulkhead repair at Market St / Water St intersection
- Future phases continue progress northward toward Walnut St
Above the ground
- Streetscape renovation of the portion of Riverfront Park at the foot of Market St, includes ADA accessibility, Riverwalk improvements, street furnishings, lighting and landscaping
- Market St / Water St intersection- COMPLETE
- Water St in front of Federal Courthouse- PARTIALLY COMPLETE, FINAL PHASE PENDING USCG WORK (unfunded)
- Princess St / Water St intersection
- Streetscape and park improvements adhere to Council-adopted Riverfront Park Master Plan and Vision 2020 downtown plan
- Bulkhead repairs necessary for shoreline stabilization as identified in the 2012 Riverfront Assessment
- Additional repairs by the US Coast Guard to be made later
- In addition to ultimately providing increased capacity, replacement of underground water and sewer lines increase capacity and allow for eventual removal of the sewer pump station in the Market Street plaza
- Stormwater outfall replacement necessary at Princess St due to failed pipes under intersection and to increase capacity
Phase I is currently underway and will wrap up in January, 2017
Pedestrian Access. Riverwalk pedestrian traffic will be detoured along the Eastern edge of the site, adjacent to the Federal Courthouse. It may be detoured to Front St for small portions of the project.
Vehicular access. The 00 block of N Water St will be completely closed to vehicular traffic.
- Westbound traffic on Princess St must turn right on Water St
- Southbound traffic on Water St must turn left on Princess St
- Prior to late October, Westbound traffic on Market St will be able to proceed south on Water St during early portions of the project
- After late October, Westbound traffic on Market St will have to make a U-turn
Work Hours. Generally 7 am – 6 pm, Monday through Friday. Some night and weekend work will occur as necessary.
- Mike Naklicki, City Project Manager, 341-5897
- Jamison Fair, CFPUA Project Manager, 332-6633