Portia Mills Hines Park also known as 10th St. Park is located at 400 N. 10th Street in Wilmington. The 2.78 acre park has a playground, basketball courts and green-space. The park is also used for events and other activities by the public.
- Members of the community have requested improvements to the park due to increased events and activities held at the site.
- In 2018 city staff surveyed Portia Mills Hines area residents and park patrons. The survey results supported the need for restrooms, additional lighting and a walking path.
- Staff originally recommended two separate phases for the project.
- Phase I would include construction of the restroom building and additional lighting, including lighting for the basketball courts.
- Phase II would include the addition of a walking trail and off-street parking.
- A subcommittee of City Council member asked staff to look at Phase I funding after FEMA reimbursements from Hurricane Florence were received.
- At the October 1, 2019 City Council meeting it was unanimously approved for funding of design and construction of Phase I & II improvements to the park to be done at the same time. The total budget for the project is $725,300. Improvements approved were new restrooms, parking, a walking trail and additional lighting.
- A public meeting was held on Thursday, October 24, 2019 at Dreams of Wilmington. The public provided feedback on the preliminary design concept which was used for the final design concept.
- Basketball goals have been painted with new nets installed.
- Seal coating of Portia Mills Hines basketball court have been completed.
- Event scheduling signs have also been installed.
- At their meeting on October 1, 2019, City Council voted to appropriate additional funds to the Portia Mills Hines project to complete design and construction of both phases which includes lighting, restrooms, a walking trail and parking. A total of $725,300 has now been funded to complete the project.
- Staff worked with the city’s Communications Division on a video to share the final design concept with the community. A public meeting was not an option due to COVID-19. The video was shot on May 4.
Spring 2020 Design was completed
Summer 2020 Construction documents/permits finalized & construction bids advertised
Winter 2021 Construction completed
**All timelines tentative at this point based on current information. **
PRESENTATION: Community Engagement Meeting (Oct. 24, 2019)
DOCUMENT: Ordinance making a Supplemental Appropriation in the Amount of $67,100 from Empie Park Phase II Tennis Complex (3CRPK0749) to Portia Mills-Hines Park Improvements (3CRPK1210) for the Design of Restrooms and Lighting [budget impact $67,100] (June 4, 2019)
Voyage Youth Council Presentation to Council (August 21, 2018)