The Board of Adjustment generally meets on the third Thursday of each month in the Harrelson conference room, 5th floor, Crescom Bank Building, 115 North 3rd Street, at 1:00 p.m. (Please note the venue change to the Crescom Bank Building)
The Board of Adjustment (BOA) reviews variances due to hardship that is brought on by meeting the regulations of the Zoning Ordinance. A variance is a requested deviation from the set of rules a municipality applies to a zoning ordinance, building code or municipal code. To grant a variance, the BOA must make the following four findings:
- Special conditions and circumstances exist which are peculiar to the land, structure or building involved and which are not applicable to other lands, structures or buildings in the same district.
- Literal interpretation of the provisions of the Land Development Code would deprive the applicant of rights commonly enjoyed by other properties in the same district under the terms of the Land Development Code.
- Special conditions and circumstances do not result from the actions of the applicant.
- Granting the variance requested will not confer on the applicant any special privilege that is denied by the Land Development Code to other lands, structures or buildings in the same district.
The BOA reviews appeals to the Code Enforcement Officer’s decisions, the Historic Preservation Commission and the Housing Appeals Board.
- Hearings before the BOA are quasi-judicial in nature.
- Decisions of the Board are based on the record of the proceedings.
- To grant a variance requires a concurrent vote of four-fifths of the members of the Board. To reverse or modify the determination of an administration official requires a majority vote of the Board.
- Evidence submitted to the Board for review becomes part of the record.
- Appeals must be filed within thirty (30) days from the filing date of the Board's Order in the Planning Division.
Calendar of Meetings
Schedule of Meetings
Five members and two alternates serve three year terms and are appointed by City Council. Requires City residency. More...
- Ronald Sparks - Chairman
- Jack C. Morgan - Vice Chairman
- Jeremy Bierlein
- Richard Williams
- John Presswood
- Claud Buck O'Shields - alternate member
- Dana Pellizzari - alternate member
- Appeal of Code Enforcement Decision & Petition for Land Development Code Interpretation
- Appeal of Historic Preservation Commission Decision
- Appeal of NonConforming Use Decision & Petition for Land Development Code Interpretation
- Appeal of Minimum Housing & Abandoned Structure Decision & Petition for Code/Ordinance Interpretation