Designated Local Landmarks

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Landmark designation means the community recognizes this property as an important historic resource worthy of preservation. Any substantial exterior design changes to a designated landmark are subject to design review procedures of the Wilmington Historic Preservation Commission. The owner may apply for an annual deferral of fifty percent of the property taxes for as long as the property is designated and retains significance and integrity.

Lazarus-Hill-Divine House 

314 Grace Street

Built in 1818 for Aaron Lazarus, a wealthy merchant from Charleston, SC.  The next owner, Senator Frederick Hill, sold the house to John F. Divine in 1874.  Other uses include a Military Academy, Franciscan Convent and an emergency hospital.  Federalist style architecture with aspects of Greek Revival and Italianate style.

Fire Station No. 5 (Former)

1702 Wrightsville Avenue

Built in 1931 in response to expanding city boundaries and as part of the “Build Now” campaign in an effort to relieve unemployment, while providing the city with civic improvements. The Spanish style correlates with the surrounding neighborhoods.  The fire station closed 1965.

Chestnut Street Presbyterian Church (USA)

712 Chestnut Street

Constructed in 1858, the Chestnut Street Presbyterian Church is a rare example of an ecclesiastical structure built in the Carpenter Gothic style with Italianate influences.  Built as a mission church by the First Presbyterian Church in 1858, the church became one of the first all black congregations in Wilmington in 1864.

Greenfield Lake Park and Gardens

1701 & 1739 Burnett Boulevard

The lake and gardens cover over 200 acres and were part of the plantation owned by Dr. Samuel Green in the 18th century.  The property was purchased by the City of Wilmington in 1925.  The property boasts beautiful gardens that include Live Oak and Bald Cypress trees, fountains, goldfish ponds and walkways.

North 6th Street Truss Bridge / Harry Forden Bridge

Between Brunswick and Campbell Streets

The North 6th Street Bridge was built in 1911 and is the only remaining steel truss bridge from that era in Wilmington.  It was built to replace the original deteriorating wooden structure spanning the railroad tracks.  In 2007 the bridge was renamed in memory of Mr. Harry Forden, a local community activist who strived to revive North 4th Street after the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad left Wilmington.

Efird's-Einstein Brothers Department Store

272 North Front Street

Construction of the building was finished in 1907 for John Henry Brunjes to house a wholesale dry goods firm.  Built in the Renaissance Revival style, the building was originally 3-stories.  Two additional stories were added in 1921.  The store closed in 1975.  The building remained vacant until 1983, when it became an office complex for several Federal Agencies.  The street façade remains relatively unchanged and the original pressed metal ceiling can still be seen on the first floor.