The city is under a State of Emergency. City of Wilmington and New Hanover County leaders have also announced a curfew for Wilmington and unincorporated areas of the county, which shall apply to the hours of 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. from 6/2 until further notice. View the city's proclamation here. View the county's proclamation here.

View Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQs) Regarding Coronavirus and Recent Protests/Curfew

View the New Hanover County Health Department Coronavirus (COVID-19) Website

View City-Related Information and Closures Regarding COVID-19

Zoning Permits & Certifications

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Building Permits & Process

A building permit is required for the construction of structures, change of building use, demolition, alterations and remodeling, upfits, expansions, accessory structures and mobile homes and new construction/relocation within the city limits.

Although New Hanover County issues all building permits in the City of Wilmington, the Zoning Section must approve building permit applications within city limits prior to their issuance. Contact Joan Mancuso at 910.254.0900.

Building Permits:

Zoning Applications:

Certificate of Occupancy (C.O.)

Approval by a zoning staff member is required in order for a Certificate of Occupancy (C.O.) to be issued in the City.

Tree Preservation Removal Permit

The issuance of a tree permit is required before removing trees on most lots within the city.

Business License

Contact zoning staff to confirm that your business location is properly zoned and that the proposed use is permitted.

After you have the required sign-off acknowledging conformance with zoning regulations, contact or visit Collections.

Sign Permits

Land Development Code Article 12 outlines the type, placement and dimensions of signs allowed within the Wilmington City Limits. Zoning staff processes permits for permanent and temporary signs in the city.

Flood Certification

Flood Zones that are designated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) affect parts of the city. Requests regarding the Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) are handled by the zoning staff.

Other Certifications

Other various uses and activities in the city also require a permit such as: Bed and Breakfast, Home Business Occupation, Sidewalk Cafes, Adult Establishments and Temporary Uses.


Staff assists the public with inquiries about all city zoning districts. Staff also can issue zoning verification letters regarding existing zoning and permitted uses.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer